intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:27 pm 

Well it is a start I guess. I will keep looking.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:43 pm 

Ursula Vernon had a game called Cryptic Stitching which she started on StoryNexus and then began porting to Twine after Failbetter announced that it would stop supporting StoryNexus... around 2014, I guess? You can see posts about it here (in no particular order). This has a bit of detail about some of the things she was doing.

I sort of doubt that she's still developing it, but her thoughts might be of interest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:11 pm 

I recommend Undums. I tested this a couple of years ago in Salet: link. Took about an hour (and it shows). Undum itself (and Dendry, for that matter) are too old to be comfortable in big projects; Raconteur is still good and there's also a new Jumbo Grove contender.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:08 pm 

You haven't said whether you need the multiplayer aspect of StoryNexus (the social acts). If not so, then I think it can be quite simple to create a quality-based game from scratch if you are alright concerning programming. I would then suggest JavaScript (with HTML/CSS of course), especially if you want it to be played online.

To add to what the other suggested, it should also be possible to use Inform with Vorple to achieve something like StoryNexus, which can be a good idea because you can take advantage of the world model (if needed). You could use kinds of object to model the qualities and the storylets, with properties for the descriptions, the pictures... Each storylet would have a table to determine its requirements.

If the multiplayer aspect is needed, it becomes more difficult because you need many more features like authentification, a database... I really wanted to write a StoryNexus game but I didn't since it's not maintained, has bugs and lacks features I wanted. I still have the plan to create an engine all by myself. (If it matters, using Django for the server side and probably Vue for the front end.) I don't think I'll have the time to complete it in the next years (I have so many projects!), so don't wait for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:18 pm 

Natrium729 wrote:
You haven't said whether you need the multiplayer aspect of StoryNexus (the social acts). If not so, then I think it can be quite simple to create a quality-based game from scratch if you are alright concerning programming. I would then suggest JavaScript (with HTML/CSS of course), especially if you want it to be played online.

To add to what the other suggested, it should also be possible to use Inform with Vorple to achieve something like StoryNexus, which can be a good idea because you can take advantage of the world model (if needed). You could use kinds of object to model the qualities and the storylets, with properties for the descriptions, the pictures... Each storylet would have a table to determine its requirements.

If the multiplayer aspect is needed, it becomes more difficult because you need many more features like authentification, a database... I really wanted to write a StoryNexus game but I didn't since it's not maintained, has bugs and lacks features I wanted. I still have the plan to create an engine all by myself. (If it matters, using Django for the server side and probably Vue for the front end.) I don't think I'll have the time to complete it in the next years (I have so many projects!), so don't wait for me.

The multiplayer aspect is in the storynexus game but it is not necessary to function. I will look into the Inform/Vorple thing, but considering I’ve had no luck with anything else, I will most likely have to teach myself JavaScript somehow enough to get somewhere. Thank you for the response. I hope I can come back and say I have a solution.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:49 am 

Oreolek wrote:
Undum had an "Implicit Choice" system, and all of its descendant engines support this feature too; Hanon already mentioned Dendry. There was Alcyone, they're doing a similar thing in Twine.

QBN is relatively easy to code, even from scratch. But you'll need to cook up some kind of export script first.

Developer of Alcyone here. ;)

I originally looked at doing it in StoryNexus off the bat given that my earliest inspiration for the game was primarily Fallen London.

I quickly saw that 1) it wasn't going to give me what I wanted and 2) looked more or less abandoned, so I rolled my own thing with a combination of Twine, SugarCube 2, and a lot of custom JavaScript. The earliest iteration looked and worked like straight up sci-fi Fallen London, to the point that I asked Failbetter & Alexis Kennedy whether or not I'd be infringing anything if I went forward with it. Blessedly, they told me to have at it, and these days the game is (I think) a lot further from its inspiration anyway.

I'm not sure what your needs are, OP, but I'd take Twine a slight bit more seriously than it looks. It's massively extensible with just a little bit of CSS and JavaScript, and the number of other game devs who've asked me how I did mine in Unity always makes me internally giggle.