intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:57 am 

Just wondering if anyone had a favourite technique for finding the word count of ink stories? Google has not been the most helpful as "ink" is a pretty... generic name... Thinking of submitting something for Sub-Q, which has quite a strict word count. One of the problems I foresee with getting the word count from a transcript is that there's quite a bit of branching.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:48 am 

I suppose you could chunk the transcript into its constituent storylet (or whatever Inkle calls it), then emplace each storylet into a map structure (i.e. something that doesn't allow repetitions). That would make removing repeated entries a trivial affair.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:35 am 

verityvirtue wrote:
Just wondering if anyone had a favourite technique for finding the word count of ink stories? Google has not been the most helpful as "ink" is a pretty... generic name... Thinking of submitting something for Sub-Q, which has quite a strict word count. One of the problems I foresee with getting the word count from a transcript is that there's quite a bit of branching.

Right now, we just use a normal word-counter and put up with the logic being included... one feature we'd like to add to inky is a padbasher (which buzzes through the story looking for errors) - that could conceivably generate min/max/average word counts for playthroughs as well, which we hadn't considered, but would be cool.

It's not too hard to *write* a padbasher if you export a web-version of your game and hack into the javascript (* and know some javascript).

cheers!
jon