intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Discuss individual IFComp 2017 games here. Please keep your discussion in the correct topic thread for each game. Be aware discussion may include potential spoilers which may not be hidden.

Post subject: Re: Harmonia - Liza Daly
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:17 am 

evouga wrote:
To a lesser extent, the depiction of Abby's colleagues also rang false. It's absolutely true that there's a class divide between full faculty and adjunct instructors, and that this divide would be felt in day-to-day interactions such as at faculty lunches... but Abby's academic pedigree would not factor much into it.

Not to tell tales (literally) out of school, but from my experience I get the sense that Abby's academic pedigree could easily factor into the class divide with the full faculty.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:39 pm 

lizadaly wrote:
For future players: you can use the browser Back button to undo a choice (or as many choices as you want, all the way back to the beginning). Full forward/backward browser history is supported, like a normal website. This is built in to the underlying Windrift framework.

That's great! Sorry I missed it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:42 pm 

Fair enough. My experience has been that pedigree is extremely important when on the job market, and largely irrelevant (at least internally; funding agencies etc will still care to some extent) once you start your appointment, but my experience may not translate to small liberal-arts colleges.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 pm 

evouga wrote:
Fair enough. My experience has been that pedigree is extremely important when on the job market, and largely irrelevant (at least internally; funding agencies etc will still care to some extent) once you start your appointment, but my experience may not translate to small liberal-arts colleges.

I've never taught at a small liberal-arts college, and I'm not going so much by firsthand department, but with adjuncts/visiting temp faculty I got the idea that there was a distinction between "Person who went to a top school like us and is someone who might have a job like ours in a couple years" and "Temporary adjunct possibly with less pedigree who we would never think of hiring to our job and who we will treat as basically someone who's just here to handle a couple of courses rather than a full faculty member." Mostly I experienced the positive side of this--I had some visiting appointments where I was treated very collegially and even invited to faculty meetings (which is a mixed blessing), and I know that experience isn't universal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:11 pm 

I really love this game, but I have a question about a certain part of it:

Spoiler: show
I chose the ‘talking my way in there’ option to get into Professor Lynn’s office. When I later had to get into his house, the ‘page’ ended with the following text:

Quote:
“I talked my way through one locked door,” I said. “I can figure out another one.”

And out of the blue, I called a guy named Walter, who happened to have the keys to Lynn’s house! As the story hadn’t mentioned anyone named Walter earlier, I was quite surprised by this. So my question is: Who was this Walter guy, how did I know him, and why did he have the keys to Lynn’s home? Was this a very strange case of deus ex machina in an otherwise excellent game or (more probably) just a bug? I guess there is some text missing from the story.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:22 pm 

Oh thank you! That's a bug (or rather, an oversight)—that passage should have a conditional based on an earlier choice. Someone else mentioned what I assume was this problem but didn't provide the specifics, so I wasn't sure where it was. My apologies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:17 pm 

Reviewed by yours truly here.
Standard disclaimer: Warning! May contain trace amounts of artistic license. Please play the game before reading my review of it. Not only will there be spoilers, but my ramblings are a bit on the experimental side this year, and I fear that they could be obscure to the point of misrepresentation if read out of context.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:53 pm 

I wrote about the design and implementation of the annotations, plus some other thoughts about hypertext UI: https://medium.com/@liza/interactive-ma ... 9424877d73

Thanks to everyone who read and voted!