intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Discuss individual IFComp 2017 games here. Please keep your discussion in the correct topic thread for each game. Be aware discussion may include potential spoilers which may not be hidden.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:20 pm 

I haven't actually played this yet, but for those interested, floo is available in the Archive:

http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-arc ... Xfloo.html

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:15 pm 

For a full review including some instructions on running the script and a some screen captures, see:

http://blog.templaro.com/review-run-place/

Quote:
The blurb didn’t lie — this work is capable of spewing a great many things, some of them potentially offensive. And it will do it for two hours. And it uses an unusual technology to do it.

The game is written as a floo script, i.e., a text file that gets run through a floo interpreter. What’s floo? I don’t know, what’s floo with you? Sorry for the dad joke.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:32 am 

As far as I can tell, "Run of the Place" is a non-interactive procedural text generator. Each time you hit a key, it generates another letter of randomly generated gibberish.

It's hard to install because it requires a Floo interpreter; only the Win32 Floo interpreter reliably works on modern platforms. The blurb warns that it could generate racist language, which is even more of a turn-off.

I tell you now that it is in no way worth the trouble of downloading and running a Floo interpreter to "play" this thing.