intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

General IFComp Discussion for 2017. No spoilers, please!

We recommend posting discussion of individual-specific Comp games in the Individual Game Discussion subforum in the correct topic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:22 pm 

Of course! I try to play the downloaded version if it's possible.

bitterkarella wrote:
Hi! I notice that you're planning on streaming my game, Guttersnipe: St. Hesper's Asylum, on Wednesday. Could I reccommend that you play the downloaded version, if possible? A few people have reported some lag with the online version. Thanks!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 pm 

I enjoyed watching you play 1958: Dancing with Fear today, and I'm looking forward to seeing you play my game Redstone on Thursday. Thanks for all your participation!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:14 am 

lglasser wrote:
Of course! I try to play the downloaded version if it's possible.

bitterkarella wrote:
Hi! I notice that you're planning on streaming my game, Guttersnipe: St. Hesper's Asylum, on Wednesday. Could I reccommend that you play the downloaded version, if possible? A few people have reported some lag with the online version. Thanks!

Awesome, thanks :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 am 

May I ask if there are differences in the approach to the show and the games when the author is in the room?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:40 am 

bitterkarella wrote:

As a side note, this seems to be a consistent issue with large Quest games played online. Downloading for PC is recommended for these in most cases.

Unfortunately, there is no offline Quest solution for Mac that I'm aware of.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:25 am 

Ruber Eaglenest wrote:
May I ask if there are differences in the approach to the show and the games when the author is in the room?

Authors tend to be able to give hints or tips when I'm stuck or missing something cool. I feel like that's the main difference for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:56 am 

Insignificant Little Vermin
Great, straightforward presentation of a fun Dungeons and Dragons type adventure. Awesome art, descriptions, and intuitive, player-friendly UI. It reminded me of the Sorcery! remake (although not nearly so unforgivingly twisty!) The short-ish cycles did a great job ramping me up towards the idea of reaching my goal.

10pm
There is an unappreciated beauty in well-designed symbols, but even an untrained eye could see that this game was absolutely gorgeous. I loved the way that it represented non-standard communication (possibly sign language, but I don't think it was ever explicitly stated) and it was rough going through the parts with less-than-stellar parenting. I feel like this game is a rousing success all around, a beautifully raw slice of life.

Guttersnipe: St. Hesper's Asylum for the Criminally Mischievous
Great grenadine grapesnickets, this was an amazing game. Wonderful tone, wonderful puzzles, wonderful characters, wonderful feelies. And it's well-paced and well-written all up and down. This game, more than any I've played over the last few years evokes the tone and style of SCUMM style games (while ditching some of their more annoying design decisions). This is straight-up one of the best adventure games I've seen in years. Is this the year that a Quest game with the competition? I know it's too early for me to call anything but gee whiz, I sure hope that it does. I know I'm planning to replay this one with my husband for funsies. Cheers to the author! And for sure, I'm checking out that Guttersnipe comic.

The Fifth Sunday (bad sound balance - my fault)
I know that some players get upset at translated works, but I love playing them. I'll happily overlook any English errors and dive right into the meat of the works. Unfortunately, that was a little trickier with a murder mystery where you need to hang onto every word and every clue. That trouble was compounded by the fact that there were some annoyances with the system. The game was clearly meant to be replayed repeatedly down different branches, but there was no fast-forward button. The text color was difficult to read against the background, but there was no way to select it to highlight it. I'll replay because I'm curious who the killer was, but I feel like this game would have been better served with a different system (Ren'Py?) and maybe with help from a native English speaking friend.

Redstone
This is definitely the year of homebrewed systems! And I love seeing them really shine this year. I liked that the system had space for pictures, the buttons all made sense (somewhat reminiscent of the SCUMM system), and I heard (didn't test) that it works well on phones. I feel like this system compares most directly to the Quest system, and I'm curious what the intended benefit of this homebrewed system was (perhaps phone accessibility?)

The story was pretty standard, but competently executed, and I had a fun time scribbling down the different times and combing for inconsistencies or gaps. I really only ran into one snag where I forgot an important detail of my side quest and got stuck for a bit. The art was certainly programmer art, but since it's better than what I can do and since there's art for every location and most of the NPCs, I was actually impressed.

AND WHEN I SQUINT IT LOOKS LIKE CHRISTMAS
I love this game on so many levels. I think it's an amazing story with amazing writing by itself, but considering it as a children's story just elevates that. Like a Miyazaki film, it depicts a childhood that contains wonder, happiness, and beauty alongside sadness, fear, frustration, and just... all the emotions. It's a real kid meeting real people, here. Furthermore, it depicts a reality where people who are disabled or shunned are shown living their lives, achieving victories, helping each other out, and just being awesome, all without feeling like tokens meant to evoke pity or gratitude. I had occasional suggestions about how to make this game more marketable to actual kids/parents-reading-it-to-their-kids, but I don't think any of those things should stand in the way of any of the judges enjoying it. If this game won, I'd definitely smile and wipe a tear from my eye.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:14 pm 

It looks like you'll get to NIGHTBOUND in maybe two weeks or so. I'll try to check back in when you announce dates so that I can try to be present!

This is really cool of you to do:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:52 pm 

Thank you for your very kind words on AND WHEN I SQUINT IT LOOKS LIKE CHRISTMAS. I'm very glad you enjoyed it. :,)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:18 am 

It was so much fun watching your stream of Off the Rails - I'm sorry I couldn't be there live, but it's really nice that you make video clips for each game. Your comments and reactions are also really helpful for a first-time author like me. Thank you!