intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

General IFComp Discussion for 2017. No spoilers, please!

We recommend posting discussion of individual-specific Comp games in the Individual Game Discussion subforum in the correct topic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 am 

I dunno about the result of this experiment.

What I know is that Swigian had an unique, intense, nightmarish atmosphere in it. I know nothing of Grendel and I don't think the setting was important. The voice was. And the way all those very short responses were written is what won me over.

I understand it was incidental. Or so that's what many say. I think a good writing skill is there, working, even if the author himself doesn't notice.

PS: reducing text to a basic form - avoiding too many words anyway and pinning the important things only - is a trick in writing mastery. That's what I am aiming to since the release of Awakening. In novels too. It will be a long road.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:00 am 

If you ever did do graphics, I would totally go for it.

Anyone can make interactive fiction; if you've made a game and need a review on IFDB, let me know!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:00 pm 

craiglocke wrote:
If you ever did do graphics, I would totally go for it.

I offered myself, so yes, of course. Although 50 graphics can take one year to be done... :)

Let's get in contact.

Here's the style I'm working on these days. I suppose your game could go with a much more restricted palette. If you have any reference image to send, feel free.

Attachments:
UNLIN.jpg
UNLIN.jpg [ 134.39 KiB | Viewed 292 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:13 pm 

Ah, and you could set my English straight for the twine game I did for the Ectocomp, what do you think? :)

PS: how come you know Italian?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:57 am 

What are you talking about graphics guys?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:20 am 

Ruber Eaglenest wrote:
What are you talking about graphics guys?

I said somewhere that I would do the pixelated graphics for this game for free. Mathbrush scans the internet like a CIA computer, so he found out and now wants payback!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:03 pm 

That's a really great idea. And an excuse to me for waiting for that Swigian Ex version :XD

Now, seriously, you don't need to make up to 50 pictures, you can for an "illustrations approach", that only shows the picture depicting a certain scene or mood. There's no need to portrait extensively every location in a traditional way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:22 pm 

Ruber Eaglenest wrote:
Now, seriously, you don't need to make up to 50 pictures, you can for an "illustrations approach", that only shows the picture depicting a certain scene or mood. There's no need to portrait extensively every location in a traditional way.

There are other tricks. Like reusing parts of the graphics or shuffling them in similar places. This is how it was done when memory was a luxury and I’m a fan of the old ways. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:14 pm 

Very nice graphics! I've sent you a pm.

I don't know if I trust myself with translation, but I'll give it a go. I have a shameful secret: I revised the translation of Living Puppet and The Fifth Sunday (someone else revised Murder in the Fog). Every time a review of Living Puppet said "This could use a good once-over by a native English speaker" I cringed.

Anyone can make interactive fiction; if you've made a game and need a review on IFDB, let me know!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 am 

I did the pass-through of "Murder in the Fog", and the thing is, I only provided suggestions for better phrasings where their idioms didn't quite make sense in English. I didn't feel it was my place to completely rewrite what they had, as much as I was tempted to at times, so I had the same cringe when people said it needed an editor once-over.

Reading the final version, I'm pretty sure there were suggestions of mine they did not adopt. Which is fine; the author has the last say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next