intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

General IFComp Discussion for 2017. No spoilers, please!

We recommend posting discussion of individual-specific Comp games in the Individual Game Discussion subforum in the correct topic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:56 pm 

Spike wrote:
I really don't get the 1-votes for Will Not Let Me Go and Harmonia, either. Voters can vote how they want, I suppose, but to me Harmonia's presentation alone ought to rule out any scores that low.

evouga wrote:
Harmonia had strong feminist themes. Maybe a voter strongly objected to this?

Will Not Let Me Go has the same two 1-votes, which indicates not. Although maybe the two 1-votes are from different people.

Future Threads also has an unusual distribution: Almost steadily increasing until peaking with lots of 9's, but then no scores of 10. Maybe voters thought it was too short - like litrouke says about 10pm? This gets back to Mathbrush's Swigian experiment about length being one of the things voters (perhaps unconsciously) consider.

Right; I guess the only thing that's clear is that the 1 votes were political and not based on the objective quality of the work (and I encourage the authors not to put too much stake in them). I can speculate that "Will Not Let Me Go" was too "touchy-feely" for certain "hardcore" IF fans, but again, that's wild speculation.

It's well known that the IfComp rewards crowd-pleasers and penalizes games that take risks with either its themes or mechanics, and hope that nobody is discouraged even if their game didn't make the top 3.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:20 pm 

In an open competition with anonymous voting, anyone can get 1-star scores, and who am I to assume the votes were in bad faith? Nevertheless, I appreciate the community's concern—it speaks well of us to discuss these things and to urge authors not to be discouraged by the occasional bad score.

Profile Send private message