intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:03 am 

It's the best that we could have hoped for. Thank you so much Merk (Admin)!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am 

Thank you for all the help and sorry for the trouble!

Post subject: Re: Missing posts
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:05 am 

Thanks so much, Merk!

I checked a handful of IFWiki links that pointed to forum threads (some author postmortems from IFComp 2016) and they all seemed to work. Success!

EDIT: Although, maybe I should be looking for links to a different subforum...the ones I checked first were in the "IFComp 2016 Public Discussion" subforum. Some links from further back do not seem to work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 am 

For instance, according to IFWiki, this link used to lead to Healy's reviews of IFComp 2014: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16775. It no longer works.

However, Healy's reviews of IFComp 2014 can now be found here instead: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=24613

So it seems like the content is here on the forum. It's just not necessarily at the same URL it was before.

Which is still a lot better than being gone entirely. So, thanks again, Merk. As Dannii said, it's probably the best we could have hoped for.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:51 am 

I think that may be a preexisting issue rather than one that happened because of the recent unpleasantness. Poking around on the Wayback machine, there used to be a subforum for IFComp 2014 discussion[/url[, where [url=https://web.archive.org/web/20150402231943/http://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=4d5bfad0595f0ee3e2cbdcf41ecfb0d4]Healy's old reviews were, and then in 2016 there was a forum for IFComp 2016, but the 2014 forum must have got merged into the general Competitions folder. The 2016 forum is still there.

This definitely suggests that we should try to avoid moving forums in the future! Thanks for pointing that out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:18 pm 

It's probably either thing, depending on the message. Links to topics include the forum ID and the topic ID, and the topic ID changed due to the import. The text archive does include the direct link for each message, so it may have been possible to add them back with the original topic ID value, but not by using the import mod I found. I could have written my own import, but we'd probably still be waiting for me to get around to that. :(

If anybody turns up any external links to topics that really need to be preserved, I could probably change the topic ID directly in the database on a case by case basis -- or maybe add a stub topic with that ID that redirects or something.

The quickest way to reach me is by email - wyndo [@] {removethis} prowler-pro.com or sidneymerk [@] {removethis} hotmail.com (or both to be safe). *Edit* Or even quicker, message me on twitter @vggenerations.

Also, as far as moving old topics, I know this was done in the past so that we wouldn't end up with an abundance of specific-year general discussion IFComp boards. Messages from the prior year's public IFComp board would be moved into the general competitions or game discussions board, and then the IFComp discussion board would be repurposed for the new year. Another way to handle that would be to create a top-level board for that purpose (ex: "Prior Year IFComp Discussion") and then move the entire IFComp board under it, instead of just moving the messages, to preserve the forum ID and topic ID for all the existing posts.