intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Missing posts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:17 am 

Due to a technical issue, posts made between July and September of 2017 are not available and were not archived.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 am 
Site Admin

I do have a backup that runs at 3:00 AM, but it doesn't rotate based on days, and it's already overwritten.

I can probably import the messages from the quarterly text dump though (although not easily -- I'll have to write a program to parse it). It's one enormous .txt file that gets uploaded to the IF Archive. I'm looking at the one that happened October 1st, but I'm not seeing a bunch of messages for "Competitions". What time did the problem happen? It may have been before that export, which means 3 months of messages would be gone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:55 am 

It was before Oct 1st. I did it on Sept 30, and of course right before the last day of the quarter, making my mistake in the most spectacularly bad fashion that ever could have happened.

I'll be over here on the naughty step if anyone needs me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Here's where things stand on this, so far.

I've updated the database backup routine so that it will keep 7 days worth of backups instead of only the most recent. In addition, I've set up a job to transfer the backup offsite (for now, to my local machine) with the same 7 days of history.

I can't find any way to get back the last three months for this sub-forum. If only you could have waited a day, then we'd have it in the quarterly archive. :) I should be able to retrieve all messages prior to July 1st from the previous archive. But, I'm not sure if I can import them directly. I was going to do it based on the topic title but there could be topics with the same title that wouldn't belong in the same thread. Also, not sure if all users' names would still match up.

So, I'm thinking the quickest and best solution might be to write a program that parses the July archive to look for messages in the "Competitions" sub-forum, then just creates a series of plain-text .HTML files out of those parts. Then we could sticky a link to that at the top here, at least to get into the archived text. I could group them by topic, knowing that some might end up grouped together incorrectly.

Alternately, I could still see about importing it all directly. I just don't know how long that'll take to figure out, and whether it's worth doing or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Also, I found this importer:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2115251

So it might be possible to extract those messages from the archive into the specified XML format and use this importer to bring them in. If anybody wants to investigate that, please do.

The July archive can be found here:
http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-arc ... forum.html

A simple program could probably parse that and create the necessary XML.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:57 pm 

Messages prior to 29/Nov/2016 can be seen at https://web.archive.org/web/20161129110341/http://www.intfiction.org:80/forum/viewforum.php?f=23
Unfortunately the wayback machine does not seem to have archived this forum at all in 2017, after doing 7 snapshots of it in 2016.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:24 pm 

To me, the most important posts are the ones discussing former IFComps, and those are all in the archive. I think the introcomp reviews may be missing, but fortunately Jacqueline sent us all the reviews.

This will break a lot of links on ifwiki to old ifcomp reviews, but I may be the only one that looks at those. Maybe they can be convereted to wayback machine links?

Anyone can make interactive fiction; if you've made a game and need a review on IFDB, let me know!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:43 am 

craiglocke wrote:
This will break a lot of links on ifwiki to old ifcomp reviews, but I may be the only one that looks at those.

I also enjoy reading older reviews for games and it was fascinating to see how you incorporated them into your historical analysis of previous comps. It would be unfortunate if that resource was either lost or made less accessible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

I finished importing messages from the July 1st archive. I think it worked well, but it's not perfect. Quote blocks appear as text instead of appearing as quotes for some reason. It seems that editing and re-saving a message fixes that, but I don't know why the import itself didn't handle it. Also, I think there were a couple topics with the same name, which would have been merged into one topic during the import.

Topics after July 1st are gone, but additional backups should prevent something like this from happening in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:32 pm 

Wow, this is great! Thanks so much!

Anyone can make interactive fiction; if you've made a game and need a review on IFDB, let me know!