intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 am 

Last year, due to the high number of entries, the IFComp authors organized a mini-competition to encourage people to review all the games. Small prizes were donated, and the reviewers who reviewed the most games were rated by participating IFComp authors.

Is anyone interested in doing something like that this year? I ran it last year, but I'm not sure if I would run it this year. It really depends on what people want.

The rough draft of my book on IF history and criticism is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd2isl3tk7dxt97/learning-text.pdf?dl=0

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:27 pm 

I haven't participated in the past few comps, either as author or reviewer, so take my word with a grain of salt. I will be participating this year, though, so here are my two cents.

A competition that rewards you for playing and judging every game is a competition that rewards quantity over quality. Of course, it's great if people review more games. But if that comes at the expense of writing in-depth reviews, or really exploring the games that were played, I think it is a net loss. As an author, I would gladly trade ten short reviews of the "I liked it because of A and B and despite C"-variety for one in-depth review that really captures the point of my game. So, hm. Not too interested in pushing reviewers towards quantity.

Also, it just feels a bit weird for authors to rate reviewers. How could you possibly be objective?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 am 

VictorGijsbers wrote:
Also, it just feels a bit weird for authors to rate reviewers. How could you possibly be objective?

I agree. In the writing world, it is strongly recommended that, as an author, one doesn't respond to (public) criticism in any way whatsoever. Nothing good can come from it. I guess "thank you" could be permissible under some circumstances. Also, I agree that fewer, but more in-depth reviews are better feedback and would be preferable, but I don't think it is a good idea to even attempt to sway any reviewer towards anything. We should be grateful if we get reviewed at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:08 pm 

I appreciate the feedback! I think I will not run it again this year. If anyone else is interested, they can set it up!

The rough draft of my book on IF history and criticism is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd2isl3tk7dxt97/learning-text.pdf?dl=0