intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:05 pm 

I just ran across this via Emily Short's blog...

loopernow wrote:
Have you considered using Choicescript, Squiffy or Ink?

Ink (by Inkle Studios) seems the most elegant of these, but also the most complex to get a handle on (at least when I look at it). On the plus side, it's designed to be able to integrate with Unity. Perhaps a good fit for a later project that you're not already in the midst of.

I'd disagree with this: I haven't tried Squiffy, but AFAICS Choicescript and Ink cover almost exactly the same ground, only Choicescript's syntax is generally much more verbose. So...I guess you could say that Choicescript is more self-documenting and might be a little quicker to get started with, but Ink is simple enough that it doesn't take long. It seems to be heavily inspired by Markdown, so it all makes pretty good sense. An asterisk marks the beginning of a choice, so choices clearly look like a list, an arrow (-> name) means to go to a named section, a left double arrow (<= name) means to insert some named text and choices into the current section, and so on.

And Ink is designed to work with Unity so it should be really easy to drop into your existing code.

Like the other two, Ink has an IDE/editor called Inky in which you write your story in one pane and it runs it in the other. If you play through part of the story and then change your code, it will recompile and (attempt to) make the same series of choices and update the transcript. So you don't have to manually go through from the beginning.

The code side in Unity is also about as simple as possible. You create a story object from your story data, then you ask it for story text (line by line or all at once), and then get the current list of choices. When the user makes a choice, you tell it which one they made (e.g. choice #3) and then you can go back and ask for the next bit of story text. You can easily get and set story variables by name.

It also allows you to attach tags to any line (you might tag a line with the name of an image or sound or whatever that goes with it). Or if you have existing code to extract that kind of info from the story text, you can just leave it there and Ink will pass it through.

Ink's page is at https://www.inklestudios.com/ink/, the documentation is at Writing with Ink, and info about hooking it up to unity Unity is at Running Your Ink. Well worth checking out. Since you're using Unity I'd bet this is the easiest solution on the code side, and Inky makes it pretty pleasant to write, rewrite, edit, and move stuff around on the authoring side. The devs are helpful and responsive. I'd highly recommend you take it for a spin. I don't think it would be a big time investment. Probably a half-hour should suffice to get the flavor of it and see if you think it will work for you?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:51 am 

Hey! Thanks so much for your response. I'm out of town until late January but I'll check this out and respond with an update as soon as possible. Cheers!

Profile Send private message