intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 pm 

blackmyron wrote:
I've been working on an (unending) project to do something in a similar vein - the traditional 'white house' opening, but in a land where there's been a 'gold rush' of adventurers by the time you get there. The accessible areas are stripped clean of real treasures, leaving only minor valuables or fakes. There's a nearby town whose general store is sold out of most of the 'traditional' adventurer gear. There is treasure available in other areas, but they are inaccessible unless you are an official member of the Adventurers Guild... but you need to provide at least one real treasure to get membership. The initial portion of the game is to do just that.
Ultimately the idea is that as the game progresses, there are other options of paths to follow rather than just being an adventurer collecting treasures; but, even if you continue along that path to the end, there's more to do and choices to make.

This sounds awesome!
Some references: Dianna Wynne Jones' "Dark Lord of Derkholm" is set in a fantasy world that runs adventures for commercial tourists - people have to take it in turns to be the Dark Lord and so on. My own game "Portcullis" touches on adventuring-as-an-industry, but doesn't take the idea as far as you have. I believe there's an IF game about preparing a dungeon for the next adventurer, including putting all the treasures back, but I can't remember what it's called.

My games: Zeppelin Adventure (Spring Thing 2018), Detectiveland, The Xylophoniad, Draculaland, Aunts and Butlers and Hamlet
Tweets: @rdouglasjohnson
Support me on Patreon and get feelies in the mail!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:10 pm 

I think the putting-it-back game is Janitor (zero-sum game is related). Robin's game Portcullis really is a great game to try in this vein.

Anyone can make interactive fiction; if you've made a game and need a review on IFDB, let me know!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 pm 

blackmyron wrote:
I've been working on an (unending) project to do something in a similar vein - the traditional 'white house' opening, but in a land where there's been a 'gold rush' of adventurers by the time you get there. The accessible areas are stripped clean of real treasures, leaving only minor valuables or fakes. There's a nearby town whose general store is sold out of most of the 'traditional' adventurer gear.

This echoes the starting premise of the (shuttered, forgotten, likely non canon) Legends of Zork casual game; FrobozzCo shuts down, and all its unemployed sales staff take up adventuring, to the point where the game begins at a tent camp outside the White House.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:14 pm 

robinjohnson wrote:
blackmyron wrote:
I've been working on an (unending) project to do something in a similar vein - the traditional 'white house' opening, but in a land where there's been a 'gold rush' of adventurers by the time you get there. The accessible areas are stripped clean of real treasures, leaving only minor valuables or fakes. There's a nearby town whose general store is sold out of most of the 'traditional' adventurer gear. There is treasure available in other areas, but they are inaccessible unless you are an official member of the Adventurers Guild... but you need to provide at least one real treasure to get membership. The initial portion of the game is to do just that.
Ultimately the idea is that as the game progresses, there are other options of paths to follow rather than just being an adventurer collecting treasures; but, even if you continue along that path to the end, there's more to do and choices to make.

This sounds awesome!
Some references: Dianna Wynne Jones' "Dark Lord of Derkholm" is set in a fantasy world that runs adventures for commercial tourists - people have to take it in turns to be the Dark Lord and so on. My own game "Portcullis" touches on adventuring-as-an-industry, but doesn't take the idea as far as you have. I believe there's an IF game about preparing a dungeon for the next adventurer, including putting all the treasures back, but I can't remember what it's called.

Ooh, I'd really love to see a Dark Lord of Derkholm-style game. You spend your time going on an adventure where the respawning enemies (and yourself) and other player-friendly mechanics are a result of the adventure company's setup... which is also why everything happens around you as the protagonist... but the ultimate challenge is to break the sequence enough that you can get into the backstage and take on the Evil Corporation that is setting it all up.