intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:36 pm 

Hey, folks. I am new to authoring interactive fiction games. I am currently working on a story for my college class on literature and pedagogy -- how to teach literature via interactive fiction.

The game I'm developing is based on a short story by an American author, and I am using significant portions of the short story in certain rooms. I don't want the information to repeat every single time you re-enter a room. That can get burdensome and overwhelming. I'd rather them return to the room and only have a condensed version of it, or something completely different.

What is the code to have the room description not repeat when returning to a room you've already visited? Is there a code?

Thanks!
DH

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:41 am 

In what programming language do you need such a code? (You posted in "General Design Discussions", so it isn't very clear.) It is easy to do in most.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:26 pm 

Dang! My fault! Inform 7.

I figured out how to not repeat ("Use brief room descriptions") but now I'm curious about "Look."

Instead of having all of the same information reappear with the "Look" command, I'd like for the "Look" command to give an abbreviated description of the room.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:30 pm 

I think something went wrong last night: I tried to move this to the I7 board but it seems to have copied instead. Please redirect to this topic. Sorry about that.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]