intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:45 am 

I'm with [Neil Gaiman]. There's no thing as writer's block. It's just not the time now. Eventually, the fairy of the words will come back and all will start rolling again. As a matter of fact, I'm writing 3 novels and 4 IFs. All of them have been put away for awhile and from time to time they come back.
The 2 advices I like most are: 1) keep more than one project open at a time; 2) if you are not in the mood for writing (unless you do it for a living), simply don't. A time will come when it will work again.

[reference corrected by Moderator]

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:08 am 

I've found that when I'm not getting any creative ideas, that's a good time to grind with proofreading or trickier coding. Eventually I start finding cool stuff to do.

From what I've read I've also come to believe that a lot of seemingly benign activities can sap your creativity e.g. facebook/twitter timewasting. I suppose this is general self-help sort of advice, but I've found myself exhausted from paging around on facebook/twitter, then I get a cool idea or two when I walk to the grocery store.

I tried a small experiment where I went to a Chicago Library branch and typed my ideas into a Google Docs file with the time I got per day. It went really quickly with fewer distractions. (They use IE so I can't open 6 tabs w/o the computer gargling.) Then at home I tried to finish the deal and got a lot less done. (I also tried working at home first, and I got more done at the library, so it wasn't a matter of energy running down.)

Having more than one project open is a good thing as long as it's organized. Even just having separate text files helps. I managed to write a program that can sort my ideas into sub-sections later, which was fun & gave me a feeling of autonomy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:18 am 

With a writer's hammer and chisel.