intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Licensing question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 am 

The definitions section explains the terms:

Quote:
To “propagate” a work means to do anything with it that, without permission, would make you directly or secondarily liable for infringement under applicable copyright law, except executing it on a computer or modifying a private copy. Propagation includes copying, distribution (with or without modification), making available to the public, and in some countries other activities as well.

To “convey” a work means any kind of propagation that enables other parties to make or receive copies. Mere interaction with a user through a computer network, with no transfer of a copy, is not conveying.

That part of section 2, if I understand it correctly, concerns various activities which are not "distribution" to use a term they are deliberately avoiding. So if you are a company, you can share the software internally, even modified, without needing to abide by all the rest of the license. You can even hire another company to make changes to it exclusively for your benefit. It's "conveying", because it's to another party, but it's not "distributing" which would is "conveying" + "obeying the rest of the license".

Hope that makes some sense.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Licensing question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:54 am 

Your interpretation of the part of section 2 makes sense. Thanks.

I'm still confused by the definitions, though.

Quote:
To “convey” a work means any kind of propagation that enables other parties to make or receive copies.

Quote:
Propagation includes copying, distribution (with or without modification), making available to the public, ...

I read 'enable' as 'gives the possibility to', not as 'permits'. And I cannot think of a way of propagation where copying would not be possible.

As I'm not a native speaker, I consulted an unofficial Dutch translation of GPLv3 but I still don't get it.

Profile Send private message