when a user replayed to young frustrated IF developer

the thing that is common with interactive fiction authoring tools developers that most of them just stop updating or caring about there tools github project page. its just like that IF community focus totally on inform 6 or inform 7 or twine and quest .
i have found a java branching project called openBST Branching Story Tree, or BST for short, is a Turing complete language that allows you to create branching stories easily, with scripting capabilities.
on march 2018 the teenaga developer posted on this link his final notes
https://utybo.github.io/BST/main/2018/03/01/final-notes.html

i responded to him that his work was great and he responded beautifully to support Unicode RTL languages you can see it in comments section of his site on the link above.
i wish others visit his project and encourage him a simple thank you or a nice comment will help him continue his project to develop an open source interactive system that will support multi-languages

Well, I prefer using text files instead of a specialized editor, at least.

A wise man once said, a project that’s nearly finished is far from complete!

People often underestimate the undertaking in making a whole project. The technical part is only one aspect. To make something useful to someone else, there’s SO much more; porting to multi-platform, testing, installer, testing, documentation, Tutorials & Examples, testing and all sorts of deployment related issues and did i mention testing!

i totally understand your opinion but a simple thank you or supportive interaction with developers will help them focus more on hitting the beta stability and reach out to others who would help in testing and etc .

Did you write a story in it yourself?

[size=150]no i have not because i am used to visual editors like HypeDyn.[/size]

HypeDyn (pronounced “hyped in”) is a procedural hypertext fiction authoring tool for people who want to create text-based interactive stories that adapt to reader choice. HypeDyn is free to download and open source, and runs on Linux, MacOS and Windows.
http://www.narrativeandplay.org/hypedyn/index.html

I don’t know if I dare make two observations in a week, given how the first one went … :-p

Sod it, here goes …

My observation is that the community is 60% Inform, 40% everything else. Our little Z Code group for example would be so small on the % share marker as to barely register. I have some thoughts around this, both what the community could do but also what new people coming in could do, but frankly I dare not share them so for now i’ll just say that a bit of variety would be nice! :slight_smile:

Hello!

I’m the main (and only) dev of OpenBST

Just a small update : I am still developping OpenBST. I wrote that article purely out of frustration. I was tired of nothing working. However, since then, my life has improved quite a bit, so I am now much more productive.

Expect a new beta soonish!

I didn’t even know this forum existed, can anyone give me any tip on how I could tell the world OpenBST exists?

// can anyone give me any tip on how I could tell the world OpenBST exists?

This would be the best place.

fos1

The best way to announce it is to make a post about it on Other Development Systems board.

Now, one reaction you are likely to get is that it’s a lot easier to appreciate a system if there’s a game already in it, so it might be worth your while to put together an example game.

Just keep plugging away. If you’re getting value from it, and even just 1-2 others are, then great. It might take off and be the next Inform or it might not. Inform is a bit like the Microsoft of the IF world; it works and works well therefore it’s the defacto. This is no bad thing. It does make pushing anything else feel like a lost cause sometimes.

I use and promote ZILF (which I didn’t make, but is my preferred system) which is hands-on coding with Z code. There are 101 reasons to drop this and use Inform but nonetheless I prefer it. It will be the same for OpenBST no doubt.