intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:13 pm 

Given that IF has its roots in gaming, the projects I see are either gaming based or creative writing based. I am curious to know if anyone knows of any IF project that has a non-entertainment based objective. Is the project serious and in-use, or is it a concept that someone is twiddling? If so, why was IF chosen over the many other methods of experiencing information?

If it's not clear what I'm asking, a sample answer might be like this:
"We use an IF interface to help guests find books in our library. There are other methods of doing this, but we have found that our specialized customer base feels most comfortable exploring the virtual library by text. Also, our librarians can easily update the system without the use of an expensive programmer."

If this has been discussed in another thread, feel free to point me to it. Is there a site where several of these kinds projects are posted?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:01 pm 

Heh.
After thinking about this question, I realized I'm asking about interactive non-fiction. So, this is probably an off-topic post. If so, let me know and I will certainly delete it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:11 pm 

No, it's on-topic as long as you're asking about the kinds of tools and design problems that are discussed around here. Although "serious" is probably the wrong label, one way or another.

If you'd asked about "non-fiction IF", nobody would even have blinked at the implicit contradiction in the label. :)

I don't have much of an answer, other than the old standard of "using IF to present a historic or educational environment." (_1893: A World's Fair_ is the classic in this area.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:47 pm 

Textfyre was an attempt to leverage IF as a multi-discipline connected learning platform, but we were never able to build a real prototype. This was the impetus for fyrevm-web, so we could build a platform out of an IF engine.

I've had other ideas. Using Inform 7 as a rules engine of sorts. Also as a knowledge base platform. I never explored these ideas though.

"It boots nothing to avoid his snares, for they are ever beset by other snares." - The shade of High Lord Mhoram, The Wounded Land - Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:57 pm 

If you leave just a menu or parser interface, it's already everywhere. From robo-assistants to library wizards. Linux console allows you to link "ls" to "examine", "cd" to "go", "look at home directory" to "inventory" etc.

The set of classic world-building rules itself is not very useful outside of fiction. Things you put in/out of containers is a metaphor that can be mapped to files, okay. Things you wear is a metaphor that can be mapped to user flags, like "wear an admin hat / take off the admin hat". Then there are verbs like "jump", "sit", "open (door)", "talk"… I don't know what to do with them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 pm 

Possibly the "adventure shell" and such:

https://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-ar ... hells.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:15 pm 

DavidC wrote:
I've had other ideas. Using Inform 7 as a rules engine of sorts. Also as a knowledge base platform.

Yeah, it seems like it is well suited for that sort of thing. Definitely it could be a tool for teaching by immersion and play. I have been curious about the idea of a help-desk guide that uses NPCs as helpful guides. It would have virtual objects that correspond to real-world products and allow the customer to interact with them. I don't know. Probably much better tools out there.

Oreolek wrote:
If you leave just a menu or parser interface, it's already everywhere. From robo-assistants to library wizards.

I was thinking more about the free-form style of interaction that IF offers. I am slowly becoming aware that contemporary IF seems to limit the player by providing clickable links and menus, eliminating (what I consider to be) the fun of guessing what to do in a particular situation. Given that, we could probably say that nearly any web page is a form of interactive storytelling. So, you make a fair point. In most real-world situations, the user doesn't want to be guessing what to do, so it makes more sense to provide him with a web page than a command line. Hmm.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:41 pm 

There are also a few things like the Oz Project:

Which is/was a project to create more "literary" IF (I may be missing some nuances of the goals), which they dubbed Interactive Drama.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:32 pm 

howtophil wrote:
There are also a few things like the Oz Project

Oooooooh, what a wonderfully shiny rabbit hole! Thanks. :D :ugeek: :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am 

I created a trouble-shooting guide in Twine so users could go through a series of steps to diagnose and solve simple IT problems where I work. I am not sure if anyone has ever used it though....