intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

If you are doing a series of reviews, please feel free to create your own personal thread with individual reviews or links to reviews. Also consider linking or posting your review in the appropriate Individual Games Discussion topic for that game. Try to keep spoiler discussion in the Individual Game discussion thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: IFcomp 2018 reviews
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:19 pm 

ManolisG13 wrote:
- Each time someone mentions that it is not fair, since prizes are included, you are ignored of course.

But the people who donated the prizes donated with the understanding that there would be a mix of choice and parser games. You seem to think that the prize pool is being unfairly awarded to favor choice games since they dominate the competition and that the competition attracts a disproportion of choice game voters, but I think the prize money is donated proportionately by those that favor choice vs. parser. Therefore, it's fair or at least fair enough.

If the competition were limited to just parser games, I think that the prize money would shrink proportionately and there would paradoxically be less prize money available to award to parser games. In fact, I think there is a good chance that choice games subsidize parser games in the competition (if parser games are in fact "better" than choice games, as you claim.)

I haven't actually run the math on this, but sometimes it pays to be careful about what you wish for.

A mixed competition also has the benefit of introducing people who haven't tried parser IF to the genre and that's good for parser IF, too.

Personally, I like to think of choice games as parser IF with hinting turned up to the max. A command is a command regardless of whether you click on it or type it in. Playing IF is like interacting with an operating system and arguing that typing in a command console is better than interacting with menus in Windows seems like a waste of time to me.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:44 am 

Quote:
a cliche " Organize your own parsercomp".

The reason people keep suggesting this is that, last time someone ran one, it was really popular and it motivated people to write and play new parser games.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:06 am 

[mod voice] Please keep comments in this thread focused on IFcomp 2018. Personal insults don't add anything to this conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 am 

ManolisG13 has been banned for another 5 years or so, and I've rant-tagged all the insults I saw on a quick read-through, from both sides. MTW, I get where you're coming from, but responding in kind doesn't help anything here.

(Sorry for the late response! Moderation's been slow lately, but we're working on fixing that.)

Edited by [Hanon] - removed everything after the post that derailed the topic. There was no point leaving all that up there, though [Draconis] did a nice job tidying it.

ManolisG13 promised several times that he was done posting here (for "5 years or so" as [Draconis] noted above) so the [Moderators] gave him a little help keeping that promise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:22 am 

Draconis wrote:
MTW, I get where you're coming from, but responding in kind doesn't help anything here.

You're right. I apologize.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10