intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

If you are doing a series of reviews, please feel free to create your own personal thread with individual reviews or links to reviews. Also consider linking or posting your review in the appropriate Individual Games Discussion topic for that game. Try to keep spoiler discussion in the Individual Game discussion thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: IFcomp 2018 reviews
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 pm 

I mean, yes and no. Shade was written in less than a month, Photopia in about six weeks, to pick two well-known and acclaimed games. (Both of these I'm pretty sure were written in Inform 6, but if anything that would probably slow down the process.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:20 pm 

Oh, yes, it certainly can be done - it just requires intelligent pre-scoping and pre-planning. Also, I'd say it helps to have an experienced and thorough understanding of the engine and how to do things without a trial-and-error process. Speed and ability to write code with low possibility of breaking somehow over the course of an entire game both come with experience and doing it wrong a bunch of times.

Both Shade and Photopia are mostly linear and run about thirty minutes, being great "quality over quantity" experiences which are a perfect length for IFComp. Speed-IF in parser is a legit format. I especially really enjoy that for Ectocomp Petit Mort that reviewers generally relax their expectations for full airtight implementation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:42 pm 

ausgerechnet wrote:
Doug Orleans wrote:
HanonO wrote:
Suggestion: Start your own annual parser-only comp where you can set the rules you like and exclude anything you don't feel belongs.

You wouldn't even have to start your own comp, you could just run your own voting procedure in parallel with IFComp, and collect votes for only the subset of IFComp games that you want to consider. (You could do something similar for the XYZZYs, too, which maybe makes more sense.)

Are you allowed to donate prizes to the IFComp prize pool that are earmarked only for specific categories of game? e.g. "$100 for the highest placed parser game" kind of thing? This would incentivize the type of game you want to see more of.

I did this a few years ago, and it caused significant controversy, including rather nasty accusations being directed my way. In the end an anonymous donor matched my pledge for a *choice-only* prize and so the whole gesture was moot. In short: it's been tried and it's not a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 am 

Quote:
Are you allowed to donate prizes to the IFComp prize pool that are earmarked only for specific categories of game? e.g. "$100 for the highest placed parser game" kind of thing? This would incentivize the type of game you want to see more of.

Russian IFComp had an additional conditional prize pool for 6 years, so one can study the effect. There are prizes for best parser games, best RPGs, weird conditional prizes and a small-scale engine-specific prize war.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:45 am 

HanonO wrote:
That's the other thing about choice-narrative popularity - Parser games require a ton of work and testing.

Which brings us back to the whole issue of voting for effort vs. voting for a good story.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:18 am 

I guess I should respond to +=x coming first in the alphabetical list. Many reviews fixated on that, and now it's still a point of contention even though the comp is over. The title arose naturally from the story, but I did have the thought: "Huh, I bet this'll be near the top." However, it was a low enough concern of mine that I was actually surprised to see it at the top when the comp started!

The fact that its title has become the game's most talked-about aspect makes me think there's something broken with how games are listed. People are preoccupied with the list on a meta level. If the list was random, and randomly refreshed with every page visit, then it wouldn't be an issue. Although it would admittedly be harder to navigate if you wanted to find a specific game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:48 am 

For next IFComp, I would suggest (is there a better thread for this?) that the default view, i.e. the first time a judge views the list of entries for the current comp year, should be the personalized shuffle. The alphabetical list would still be just a click away, for when you need to find a specific game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 am 

CMG wrote:
I guess I should respond to +=x coming first in the alphabetical list. Many reviews fixated on that, and now it's still a point of contention even though the comp is over. The title arose naturally from the story, but I did have the thought: "Huh, I bet this'll be near the top." However, it was a low enough concern of mine that I was actually surprised to see it at the top when the comp started!

The fact that its title has become the game's most talked-about aspect makes me think there's something broken with how games are listed. People are preoccupied with the list on a meta level. If the list was random, and randomly refreshed with every page visit, then it wouldn't be an issue. Although it would admittedly be harder to navigate if you wanted to find a specific game.

I had similar worries with Ailihphilia. The original title was "Put it Up," which was further back in the alphabet. So while I enjoyed the new title more, part of me was wondering if I was just also trying to sneak a bit of publicity. Thankfully, several testers assured me this was okay, because Ailihphilia seemed to work better, but it was a distraction for a bit.

lft wrote:
For next IFComp, I would suggest (is there a better thread for this?) that the default view, i.e. the first time a judge views the list of entries for the current comp year, should be the personalized shuffle. The alphabetical list would still be just a click away, for when you need to find a specific game.

I think this is a good suggestion so that authors don't need to worry about stuff like "Should I call my game 12 Angry Men or Twelve Angry Men?" I mean, we haven't had any wise-guy (successfully) submitting works called something absurd like "(A-1/A++/AAA) IFComp Experience," and we aren't going to, but it'd be nice to put this to rest once and for all.

Spoiler: show
Though now I've said it, I'd actually like to see someone try and make something actually good from one of these titles.

If you're on Github, you can maybe report this as a feature request, if it's not in there already.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:17 am 

To get this thread back on topic... I'm posting reviews of the games here. They're slightly updated versions of what I wrote on the author's forum.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:38 am 

hidden by Mod : show
Last post forever in this forum ran by people with no connection to IF/Text Adventures, which their only response is censoring and banning for expressing what other people also think.

Few points :

- Each time a valid point for the big difference between parser games and low effort CYOA ends up with a cliche " Organize your own parsercomp". Really pityful.

- Each time someone mentions that it is not fair, since prizes are included, you are ignored of course. Imagine at the Olympics that athletes of Tae Kwon Do and GrecoRoman would eventually share the same league with a "they are both "fighting" why split them up" ... ARE YOU THAT BLIND the people who have taken over the comp? And who are you ? WHO DECIDES ? Any sense of fairness ?? Or is it today everything sold out ? ... Pityful ..

Bottom line :

Nobody knows who and under what circumstances he/they decided to mix apples with oranges.
Nobody can actually object in this also run-by-unknowns forum when you get censored/ban simply for telling the obvious, Text Adventures and CYOA don't match/are different categories. You can not even make an argument. So much for your democracy.. This forum really TRICKS people thinking it has something to do with real Interactive Fiction-Text Adventures when it's used as a mean to promote CYOA and hyperfiction stuff.

In the end aftrer 20 years we'll be looking back and wonder who the fuck were the snakes that turned this from our comp into a mixmash of CYOA - hyperfiction stories..

The solution is simple and great for all : SPLIT THE CATEGORIES in the comp the prizes. You want to keep your CYOA just to have some more outreach ? GReat (.... or whatever) but DON'T MIX apples with oranges.

I mean, are people so blind or are they doing it on PURPOSE ?

p.s. Yeah random irrelevent mod, censore and ban me, but 6 pages worth of good posts from other people show that THERE IS A PROBLEM. This forum should be renamed btw you don't deserve the IF title.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next