intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: +=x
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:30 pm 

Lucea wrote:
A quick note: This is a game made in Texture. The drag-and-drop interface is the basic idea of what Texture does.

Texture does not appear to be open source and you have to use texturewriter.com to write with the tool? Am I mistaken about that?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:33 pm 

bikibird wrote:
Lucea wrote:
A quick note: This is a game made in Texture. The drag-and-drop interface is the basic idea of what Texture does.

Texture does not appear to be open source and you have to use texturewriter.com to write with the tool? Am I mistaken about that?

It might not have been done directly in Texture (I'm not sure how the writing interface works now, it's been a while since I tried it and I know there have been updates since then) but the drag and drop mechanic is its key/only feature.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:52 pm 

Lucea wrote:
bikibird wrote:

It might not have been done directly in Texture (I'm not sure how the writing interface works now, it's been a while since I tried it and I know there have been updates since then) but the drag and drop mechanic is its key/only feature.

Texture allows authors to download the code they've written for a game in one self-contained, playable package which they can host themselves if they want. It's also possible to gussy it up with a custom background, text colours, etc. (unsurprisingly, basic Texture doesn't let you create white-on-white 'choice' cards that appear blank).

You can set up behind-the-scenes mechanics with Texture, using conditional 'flags' which allows the writer to create a logic-gated system that the player can't see (unless you overtly tell them what's happening).

Because a lot of the 'choice' cards in +=x are apparently blank and identical (though in practice, they must all be distinguishable to the game and always be laid out in the same order), and there was an underlying tone that everything that happens in +=x is a fix, this particular reviewer spent much longer than the suggested play time trying to see if the order of the card insertions could be wrangled to create a different outcome (unless I've overlooked something, the game never sets or unsets any flags at all).

Then I looked at the code.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and all that.

Prize: A box of 52 blank playing cards, and a pair of UV glasses that arrives a week later.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:30 pm 

@ifcomp - A short, trippy riff in @TextureWriter full of delicious words by Chandler Groover and I just want to Eat Them. Ends in the air, but there may be a scrumptious dessert to be found. Just Groover.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:07 pm 

Das Reboot wrote:
Lucea wrote:
bikibird wrote:

Texture allows authors to download the code they've written for a game in one self-contained, playable package which they can host themselves if they want. It's also possible to gussy it up with a custom background, text colours, etc. (unsurprisingly, basic Texture doesn't let you create white-on-white 'choice' cards that appear blank).

You can set up behind-the-scenes mechanics with Texture, using conditional 'flags' which allows the writer to create a logic-gated system that the player can't see (unless you overtly tell them what's happening).

Because a lot of the 'choice' cards in +=x are apparently blank and identical (though in practice, they must all be distinguishable to the game and always be laid out in the same order), and there was an underlying tone that everything that happens in +=x is a fix, this particular reviewer spent much longer than the suggested play time trying to see if the order of the card insertions could be wrangled to create a different outcome (unless I've overlooked something, the game never sets or unsets any flags at all*).

Then I looked at the code.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and all that.

Prize: A box of 52 blank playing cards, and a pair of UV glasses that arrives a week later.

* Late edit: I was wrong, +=x does set a few flags, to control the when the game allows the player to move on to the next page. But they don't conceal any secret conundrum, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:36 am 

The game advertises itself as choice-based but there is rather little choice. This game was made with Texture, where you drag text boxes to key words. On a page, when there is one text box you can drag to one highlighted word, that's not terribly exciting; rather, it is just a much more inconvenient equivalent of turning a page of a conventional book, to read on. The same applies to a single arrow pointing forward at the bottom of a page being the only thing you can click on. There are some choices at times, three empty boxes that, as you play, you learn that translate to adding, multiplying and equalizing. Why couldn't these boxes have been named directly? Moreover, these three functions apply to some human characters, which didn't make sense to me - what does it mean that a person is added or equalized, for example? I played through 4 times but there seemed to be very little actual difference whatever I chose. In the end, the game appears to go into an endless loop. Well, probably I have missed something which would bring me to the ideal ending? I have obviously missed the point the author wishes to make, and the impression I got from the game, even if I didn't understand it, was not very strong. Everything worked technically alright, though, and I have to add that the blurb of the game was very inspirational and effective.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:23 pm 

I found it dull and uninspiring, with little to no interactivity. What interactivity there WAS seemed entirely arbitrary, and I had no interest in replaying it to try different choices. I could barely even tell there was a story there, and IF there was, i still have no idea what it is. Nor am I interested in trying again to figure it out. (some dystopian lottery for some reason with no clear outcome or purpose of or for said lottery)
I may be biased, because I'm not a fan of choice games. THIS one tho was BARELY even choice based. just randomly choosing options for no apparent reason.