intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:00 pm 

And when you get the real winning ending, you are given the answer to the old woman's riddle.

The final puzzle was beautiful.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:06 pm 

Sobol wrote:
The final puzzle was beautiful.

Yeah, it's a XYZZY Best Puzzle contender for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:03 am 

I've also posted a review of the game at my blog here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 pm 

Clearly I need to take another look at this one. Most of the main puzzles were reasonably straightforward, so I got to the endgame with only a little help. But I was playing on my Android phone, and for some reason, Quixe does not recognize spacebar input from the Android keyboard for a "press space to continue" prompt. It just locks up and won't accept any further input.

So I play through a bunch of puzzles, and then, at endgame..."press space to continue"... Argh.

I really should have just played on PC when I ran into that same prompt when I tried to look at the illustrations, but I was intrigued by the puzzles, so I just played without looking at the illustrations.

Also, I would have liked to see all the rooms labeled on the map rather than just the plaques, but that's a minor thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:03 pm 

Huh. Could someone clue me in on the final puzzle (at least I think it's the final one)? I'm completely stuck.

Spoiler: show
I've been to all the rooms except the rightmost one on the center line. I'm assuming this is the flower child puzzle, since that's the only obvious clue that I haven't done anything with.

But I'm not sure what the flower child plaque is supposed to mean. In all three rooms with 7-depression pedestals, I've tried the various combinations of putting and taking all the figurines in 1/1/1/1/2/1 and the reverse.

AFAICT you can't (quite) put the figurines back where they came from in either forward or reverse order since you can't get out of the blue room without taking the figurine off the pedestal and exiting immediately, and that's the second figurine so it's not at either end of the list.

I tried looking through the other plaques for words that would fit with "one", "another", "third", "fourth", "two together", and "seventh" since that's how one of the other pillar-room puzzles works but couldn't come up with anything there.

Since the legend ordering comes from another pillar room, I tried skipping through that list with some combinations of 1/1/1/1/2/1 and one/one/third/fourth/two/seventh but didn't find anything.

There are still the two marker rooms which I haven't found a purpose for, so maybe there's something there? But it won't let you put or take since the markers aren't a pedestal. I tried messing around with the names, since they're mostly 7-letter words with three vowels (except the one pair which is 5/8 letters), so putting them together makes a nice 7x7 square which seems a little too convenient to be coincidental. But nothing jumped out at me.

The other two hidden puzzles made you re-use the machinery from an earlier main-path puzzle, but I don't think there was a counting puzzle where it would make sense to apply either number sequence?

So yeah...help? Is there something obvious that I'm totally overlooking?

Edit: I disassembled the game and found the solution but I still don't get it.

Why that sequence of rooms? The plaque suggests that they're times when the going got tough, but...almost every plaque has the hero failing at something. Why is failing to answer the old woman's riddle included, but not failing to understand the poet's instructions, or the farmer's? Or failing to buy something from the vendor? Or finding that asking the queen for advice was useless? Or that waiting for the child didn't give any significant food? Or failing to get the key and needing the fairy to give him the solution? I guess it's fairy-tale-ish physical challenges or not helping someone who asked for it. But I don't see how you were supposed to guess that...

Thanks,

--Josh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:11 pm 

@JoshGrams : I believe the key thing to note in that final puzzle is
that the flowerchild is thirsty: the other flowerchild followers fall away in places where they have access to water. Each of the plaques in the relevant rooms mention a body of water somehow, whether it's a natural lake or a manmade fountain, and none of the plaques in the other rooms do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:09 am 

Miseri wrote:
@JoshGrams : I believe the key thing to note in that final puzzle is

Oh, man. I knew I must be missing something but I'm not sure I would ever have seen that. Thanks.