intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:21 pm 

The impression I get from §27.1 in the Inform documentation is that, if you submit an extension to the public library, you don't have a choice about the license:

Quote:
Writers who wish to make their extensions public on the Inform website should also be clear that by doing so, they are donating their work to the community on the basis of the broadest form of Creative Commons license: that is, they retain copyright and the right to be identified as the author (and as we shall see they are automatically credited in any work of IF which uses their extension), but are giving unlimited permission to use, circulate and republish their extensions in any form, even as part of commercial works (should that arise).

(I don't exactly have a point to make about this, but it seemed like potentially useful information.)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:06 pm 

Quote:
I don't understand why people think it's [CC-non-commercial is] sensible for any Interactive Fiction that I've seen it used on.

Slow down. You're jumping between claims about Inform extensions and IF game files, and you're also apparently confused about what the CC-NC license means.

Quite a lot of IF games, especially older ones, say something like "do not distribute for money". I don't think very many use the CC-NC license itself, however. And I don't remember any extensions that do.

Quote:
The impression I get from §27.1 in the Inform documentation is that, if you submit an extension to the public library, you don't have a choice about the license:

That's correct. This was a policy decision -- Inform extensions are (IMHO) most useful if they're licensed CC-BY, and the public library is easiest to understand if everything in it has the same license.

As I said, I'd like the new extensions site to contain *all* extensions. I'd also like it to become the new Public Library someday, so that's a possible future conflict to sort out. (But we don't have to sort it out right now!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:50 pm 

By the way, I will re-mention I can help with dev support. Whatever list of changes are needed, I can pitch in. Hosting too if it's needed (on plover).

"It boots nothing to avoid his snares, for they are ever beset by other snares." - The shade of High Lord Morham, The Wounded Land - Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:42 am 

DavidC wrote:
By the way, I will re-mention I can help with dev support. Whatever list of changes are needed, I can pitch in.

I imagine any non-controversial issues that Dannii has marked "enhancement" on Github would be ok to work on, e.g. having both "view source" and "download" buttons for extensions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:57 am 

Possibly CC4-Attribution (CC BY 4.0), which allows modification and distribution, even for commercial projects internationally. (CC3 is specifically US I think).

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 am 

This post brought up some questions for me.

I'd be happy to add Daniel Stelzer's extension to the new extensions site, however:

How do I confirm that it has the proper license? As far as I know it's only on Github, not in the public library. Do I need to get permission from the author to add it?

Also, I'm still not totally sure what the implications are of tagging it with an Inform version. I'm still wondering about the answer to this question:
Quote:
Okay, it sounds like you're saying that, if an extension on the new site is marked with an Inform build, that means the extension is (in the extension author's opinion) ready for public use, and supported, but it may or may not meet public library standards. So as of right now, the new site makes no distinction between usable (in the author's opinion) extensions that are in the public library, and usable (in the author's opinion) extensions that aren't in the public library.

And putting an extension on the new site, but not marking an Inform build, means that it's either not ready for public use, or not supported.

Am I following you correctly?

Do I need to test it myself to verify that it works? Do I need to ask the author whether it's going to be supported?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:05 pm 

I release all my code as CC-BY, though I haven't actually specified that anywhere; I should add it to the Github.

I've been falling behind on my extension maintenance though. I try to keep the code updated to the latest Inform and all, but often don't have the time unless people bring up specific issues. (Some of which are still taking a long time to fix.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:37 pm 

We should get it all onto the new extensions site so people can help you with it! (Or if you want to post help wanted requests on Github, however that works, I could take a look at some things.)

Something related but maybe not; what's the naming convention when someone takes over maintenance of an old extension? I just got snarled over not realizing that Inline Hyperlinks by Daniel Stelzer was the updated version of Inline Hyperlinks by Erik Temple; what convention should we use there?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 pm 

According to WI §27.4-5,

Quote:
Sometimes authorship is complicated. What if Mary Brown finds some Inform 6 code written by John Smith in the mid-90s, and puts an I7 gloss on it to make an I7 extension, but then Pierre Dupont translates it into French: who's the author of the result? The rule is that the person making the current, latest version is the author listed in the titling line, so we end up with
Code:
... by Pierre Dupont begins here.

But Mary and John deserve their credits too [...] A second double-quoted text can also, optionally, be added in yet a third special starting paragraph. This is to provide additional credits to people who have contributed to this or earlier versions. For instance:
Code:
The Ducking Action by Graham Nelson begins here.
"An action for ducking one's head."
"based on original Inform 6 code by Marc Canard"

Note the typical style here: it's a phrase rather than a sentence, and neither starts with an upper-case letter nor ends with a full stop. (The additional credit is then used in documentation and also in the VERSION text of any Inform story file using the extension.)

That's the convention I've been trying to follow. But when people are making maintenance updates it gets a bit messy, because ownership can transfer back and forth a lot (as happened with Inline Hyperlinks).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 pm 

Draconis wrote:
I release all my code as CC-BY, though I haven't actually specified that anywhere; I should add it to the Github.

I've been falling behind on my extension maintenance though. I try to keep the code updated to the latest Inform and all, but often don't have the time unless people bring up specific issues. (Some of which are still taking a long time to fix.)

OK, I've added your extension to the site. I had to add a date to the version number, so I used the date of your Github commit. (I didn't mark any Inform builds though, since I'm not sure how that's supposed to work.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6