intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:43 pm 

Start up your favourite piece of Inform 7 IF, pick up a few items, then find a supporter like a table to put it on, and then type "drop x on down" to put item x... ...where? On down? Yes, why not?
You'll get a question like "What do you want to drop " followed by some gibberish - for example "What do you want to drop the apple the keyring?" or "What do you want to drop the stone those things?".
Try to answer that question however you like, and you'll get an outcome similar to "I only understood you as far as wanting to drop the apple on down.".

I won't act like I haven't already patched this bug, and have a theory as to why the bug existed in the first place, but I feel that I need to run this by you, because maybe I'm blameing the wrong reasons for Inform 7 acting like this. Are there more bugs like this that I need to be aware of? Try to contribute to solving this "christmas mystery", and I'll post my code for the patch in a few posts. =)

>leave basement

Last edited by Andreas on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:47 pm 

I can't reproduce this.

Code:
The Kitchen is a room.
The player carries a rock.
The table is a supporter in the Kitchen.

Result:

Quote:
>drop rock on down
You must name something more substantial.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:51 pm 

Yes, it works perfectly fine until you pick up *another* item. You need more than one item to choose from (and I don't know why).

>leave basement

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:30 am 

I could not reproduce the bug either.

Code:
The kitchen is room. The table is a supporter in the kitchen. The player carries a rock and an apple.

Code:
>put rock on down

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:38 am 

Draconis wrote:
I could not reproduce the bug either.

Strange. I'll get back to you once I've isolated what makes this happen, because right now I have a bunch of extensions messing with the grammar.

>leave basement

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:21 am 
Draconis, actually you can replicate it indeed with the code you posted. But the syntax that makes it appear is not "put", but "drop".

Same source code as you posted.

"kitchen
You can see a table here.

>drop rock on down
What do you want to drop the rock on those things?"

EDIT - Hello hello hello, the bug only appears once, on the first move.

Quote:
kitchen
You can see a table here.

>drop rock on up

>drop rock on east

>drop rock on down
What do you want to drop the rock on?

>undp
I only understood you as far as wanting to drop the rock on down.

>undo
kitchen
[Previous turn undone.]

>undo
kitchen
[Previous turn undone.]

>undo
kitchen
[Previous turn undone.]

>undo
kitchen
[Previous turn undone.]

>undo
[You can't "undo" what hasn't been done!]

>drop rock on down
What do you want to drop the rock on those things?

EDIT 2 - Well, actually no, the actual bug always appears, but we only get gibberish on the first move.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:15 pm 

Replicated successfully with Peter's syntax. This is very odd.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:16 pm 

Draconis wrote:
Replicated successfully with Peter's syntax. This is very odd.

Yes, the more I look at it, the more I feel that my patch is just covering up the symptoms of a bug deeper in the core, but I discovered this bug when I saw the rules specifically mentioning "down" in the rules for "putting it on" and "inserting it into". ...but if it would just involve those two simple rules, "drop stone down down", or even "put stone on down", would reasonably result in errors, but it turns out that it doesn't. ...and why does it only trigger when I have more than one items in my inventory?

Very well, here's my patch:

Code:

Section - drop x on down

[The standard rules list two faulty check rules, that results in bad grammar for the putting it on action in combination with multiple carried objects.
The rules are named "convert put to drop where possible" and "convert insert to drop where possible".
A likely explanation is that they were both written to handle "put [things preferably held] [something]", but since then the grammar got changed to "put [things preferably held] down" being directly interpreted as dropping.
The only apparent effect in-game, is that "drop [other things] on down" results in a question like "What do you want to drop x those things?" (to which there doesn't seem to be a correct reply).
]

The new convert put to drop where possible rule is listed instead of the convert put to drop where possible rule in the check putting it on rulebook.

Check an actor putting something on (this is the new convert put to drop where possible rule):
   If the actor is on the second noun,
      convert to the dropping action on the noun.

The new convert insert to drop where possible rule is listed instead of the convert insert to drop where possible rule in the check inserting it into rulebook.

Check an actor inserting something into (this is the new convert insert to drop where possible rule):
   If the actor is in the second noun,
      convert to the dropping action on the noun.

>leave basement

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:19 pm 

Thanks for posting the working example code. I mean, the not-working example code.

I have not yet had a chance to look into this. However, I can give some history.

The Inform grammar has never included "put [things preferably held] [something]". It *does* include "put [things] down" and "put down [things]", which already handle that case without any action-conversion rule.

Inform used to include "floor" as a synonym for "down", so I'm sure this rule is intended to cover "put rock on floor".

However, "floor" *isn't* a synonym for "down" any more. Also, the "You must name something more substantial" error has been added for commands like "take north". I believe this error happens before check rules, so it should supersede the "put rock on down" case. In other words, the conversion rules really have no reason to handle the "down" case any more.

However again -- this should not lead to confusing parser output. It should reliably say "You must name something more substantial". I'll have to dig into what's going on there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:25 pm 

Did some more testing. I'm afraid your patch doesn't affect the bug at all. Which makes sense -- the bug appears before the "check" action phase.