intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:08 am 

Quote:
I didn't notice this thread earlier, but "input control" (replacement/continuation) seems like it might be hard to make accessible to visually impaired users. Sounds like you're intercepting the event of pressing a key and doing something magical instead?

I was only thinking in terms of what Glulx Entry Points does now, and how you can change the contents of the buffer, or request input again. Well a bit more than what GEP allows actually - for example, with the Kerkerkruip menu I convert hyperlink events into keypress events. It's only a small hack, but the phrasing is confusing because it sounds like you're performing line input operations on hyperlink events. So how the code is phrased is something I'm wanting to clean up currently.

Interrupting input etc could be useful for adding contextual hints while the user is typing (a la A Colder Light) but that would be another layer of complexity. You're definitely right that we should be thinking about accessibility in all of this. That reminds me that I must clean up the menu updates I was writing so that it can become the new default: it uses numbers/letters rather than a cursor, so that screen readers only speak the menu once rather than speaking it again whenever you press up or down.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:06 am 

Quote:
I didn't notice this thread earlier, but "input control" (replacement/continuation) seems like it might be hard to make accessible to visually impaired users.

This is a low-level, general feature used to customize the way your game responds to input. It can be used for straightforward things (responding to hyperlink clicks) or presentation tricks.

I agree that the author has to think about accessibility when messing around with presentation. Really, both the game author and the interpreter author!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:48 am 

Hi there,

I've been trying to work out where best to post this and I think this might be a sensible place, if not, then sorry for the necro.

Whatever exactly was done here in this thread (I probably understand only about 25% of this complex stuff to be honest), I think it broke the latest version of Inline Hyperlinks - https://github.com/i7/extensions/blob/m ... rlinks.i7x

I've been performing some "impact assessments" to see what functionality will have to go when I upgrade my game from 6G60 to 6M62 and this is where I've currently got stuck:

As soon as I upgrade from the default included GEP (10/140425) to the newest one (10/160919) (and include the three required extensions by Dannii as well), Inline Hyperlinks still compiles but now when I click on a hyperlink nothing happens. The only code needed for this is the follows:

Code:
"Extensions Compatibility Testing"

Start is a room. "This is a link to [link]look[end link].".

Include Inline Hyperlinks by Erik Temple.

I believe that this might be something to do with the "Glulx replacement command" variable and functionality, since I also tried to get the Graphical Hyperlinks working (with flexible windows) and suffered a very similar problem, I could create a hyperlink box and click on it in my graphics window (and confirm that the hyperlink box was working with the 'coordinates' debug output) but the intended output word was never sent to the main window and even worse, after clicking on the hyperlink box, the main window could no longer be typed in, suggesting that the main event loop had gotten stuck somewhere.

A third (and possibly unrelated) problem, by the way - trying to include the latest versions of Flexible Windows and Inline Hyperlinks at the same time fails to compile.

Quote:
In Chapter 2 - Replace Flexible Windows hyperlink handling if necessary (for use with Flexible Windows by Jon Ingold), Section - Code for selecting the replacement command (replaces Section - Selecting the replacement command in Flexible Windows by Jon Ingold) in the extension Inline Hyperlinks by Erik Temple:

Problem. You wrote 'A hyperlink processing rule (this is the default command replacement by hyperlinks rule)' : but the punctuation here ':' makes me think this should be a definition of a phrase and it doesn't begin as it should, with either 'To' (e.g. 'To flood the riverplain:'), 'Definition:', a name for a rule (e.g. 'This is the devilishly cunning rule:'), 'At' plus a time (e.g. 'At 11:12 PM:' or 'At the time when the clock chimes') or the name of a rulebook, possibly followed by some description of the action or value to apply to (e.g. 'Instead of taking something:' or 'Every turn:').

See the manual: 19.3 > 19.3. New rules

Because of this problem, the source could not be translated into a working game. (Correct the source text to remove the difficulty and click on Go once again.)

I think this is because the hyperlink code has all been removed from the newest version of Flexible Windows. I can get the compiler to become happy by removing all the code that is for use with Flexible Windows and just using the code that's meant for use without Flexible Windows, but I still have the same problem that clicking on a hyperlink does nothing.

Are these just a small oversight and an easy fix? If so, I would love someone much smarter than me forever if they would fix it. If it's not an easy fix, I'm desperate enough that I'd be interested in looking into paying someone to help me fix it.

Thanks guys and sorry again if it's the wrong place to post this.

PS. Sorry zarf for wasting your time with the Inform 7 bug report the other day. My mistake for assuming that code I found on the internet was correctly written!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 am 

Yeah hyperlinks is something that really needs to be reworked. I did extract the hyperlinks code from Flexible Windows here: https://github.com/i7/extensions/blob/m ... rlinks.i7x

I think it might work, but it's really not ideal by any means.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 am 

Rant: show
Thanks for the quick reply, Dannii. Can I deduce from what you said that it's not a simple thing to get the Inline Hyperlinks working with the new version of GEP (and therefore Flexible Windows) then?

I'm willing to provide a financial incentive if that would help expedite a solution. But it would help to understand how large the task is to try and work out what would constitute a reasonable bounty.

EDIT: I think I may have managed to get it working by messing around with Inline Hyperlinks a bit after including Dannii's Hyperlinks extension. But I don't know whether it's worth me making a pull request because I'm not confident what I've done is robust.

EDIT2: For anyone else needing Inline Hyperlinks working in 6M62, this is how I got them working. Graphical hyperlinks still won't work, though. https://github.com/aika092/extensions/pull/1/files

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:37 pm 

Honestly I think it would be best if someone wrote a new extension from scratch. But I'm not volunteering, no time right now :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 pm 

Or switch to fyrevm-web.

"It boots nothing to avoid his snares, for they are ever beset by other snares." - The shade of High Lord Mhoram, The Wounded Land - Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.