intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:12 pm 

I second Matt's solution. I've tried something like that before with a puzzle involving people relaying orders to each other: >ALICE, TELL BOB TO DO THE THING. Unfortunately never got it working in a satisfactory way.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 pm 

There is an extension called "Conversational Defaults" by Eric Eve. The primary use is to set how an NPC responds when none of the other input matches. I think if you used this and gave your character a "Bob remains mute on the subject." type default response with nothing else, that might do it for you.

Eric Eve's extensions usually cover all the bases "tell about, ask for, ask about" although they use slightly modified verbs internally, so it's worth a try. Hopefully, it wouldn't goof up the rest of your conversation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:15 pm 

Draconis wrote:
I second Matt's solution. I've tried something like that before with a puzzle involving people relaying orders to each other: >ALICE, TELL BOB TO DO THE THING. Unfortunately never got it working in a satisfactory way.

...as usual, no guarantee this won't blow up in your face.

Code:
Test Chamber is a room. 

A man called Gordon Freeman is in the test chamber. A man called Flash Gordon is in the test chamber. The crate is an open container in the test chamber. The crowbar is in the test chamber.

Persuasion rule:
   if the person asked is Gordon Freeman and the commanding person is not Flash Gordon:
      say "Gordon Freeman won't take orders from anyone but Flash Gordon.";
      persuasion fails;
   persuasion succeeds.

Telling it to is an action applying to one thing and one topic. Understand "tell [someone] to [text]" as telling it to. Understand "ask [someone] to [text]" as telling it to. Understand "order [someone] to [text]" as telling it to.

Converting a tell command is a truth state that varies. Command text is some text that varies. The commanded person is a person that varies. The commanding person is a person that varies.

Carry out telling it to when converting a tell command is false:
   now converting a tell command is true;
   now the commanded person is the noun;
   now the commanding person is the player;
   now the command text is the substituted form of "[the topic understood]".

Carry out someone telling:
   now converting a tell command is true;
   now the commanded person is the noun;
   now the commanding person is the actor;
   now the command text is the substituted form of "[the topic understood]".

For reading a command when converting a tell command is true:
   now converting a tell command is false;
   change the text of the player's command to "[commanded person], [command text]".

Instead of telling Gordon Freeman about something: say "You say, 'Did you know about [the topic understood]?' Gordon says nothing, as usual."

Test me with "ask gordon to take the crowbar /flash/ tell gordon to put the crowbar in the crate / flash/ order gordon to jump/flash/ jump. tell gordon to take the crowbar/ flash/ ask gordon to drop the crowbar. jump/ flash/ tell gordon about my trip to the beach/freeman".

Test nested with "tell gordon freeman to get the crowbar/tell flash gordon to tell gordon freeman to get the crowbar".

Test nested disambiguation with "tell gordon to tell gordon to get the crowbar/freeman/tell gordon to tell gordon to get the crowbar/flash".