[I7] Only show the name of a room when entering.

I want to know if there is a way to only show the name of a room when entering it. When the player examines the room, it should only print when it is entered. For example:

[code]Test Room 1
This is a description.

look
This is a description.
north
Test Room 2
This is another description.
south
Test Room 1
This is a description.[/code]

Here’s a hacky way of doing it.

Room headings is a truth state that varies. 
The room description heading rule does nothing when room headings is false.
Every turn: now room headings is false. 
Before going: now room headings is true.

I’d change your “every turn” to an “after looking” but, yeah, that’s probably the easiest way.

Update: The solution described above doesn’t work when initially starting the game. After going to another room it works, but in the first room it doesn’t. How do I combat this?

INSERT BANNER TEXT HERE

Description one.
>look
Description one.

>purloin blue key
[Purloined.]

>sw
(first opening the wooden door)
(first unlocking the wooden door)
(with the blue key)
After you fiddle with the lock for a moment, you finally get it open.

Hallway
Description two.

>

Room headings is initially false. The room description heading rule does nothing when room headings is false. After looking: now room headings is false. Before going: now room headings is true.

I found that changing the ‘room headings is initially false’ boolean to true works the way I want it to. Thank you!

Oh, so you do want it to appear in the intro, sorry, didn’t realize that.

I wouldn’t. That way the boolean won’t reset if the going action fails for some reason (such as a check rule). “Every turn” is safest, however clunky.

I don’t know how much is deprecated, but doesn’t Inform still have SUPERBRIEF mode available?

I believe in SUPERBRIEF mode, the player can look and examine objects as normal.

Or am I missing something?

http://inform7.com/learn/man/RB_6_4.html

The example “Verbosity 2” appears to show how to disallow the player from changing this setting.

Well, the verbosity commands are options for the player, not really tools for the author (though you can set the default). In general they don’t work very well, and can cause problems, when an author is trying for a precise effect different from the established conventions.

(And even in SUPERBRIEF mode you get a room heading on entering a new room; it’s the description part which gets skipped. So precisely the opposite effect of what the OP asked for.)

I knew there was something I missed. RETRACTED. Carry on.

I’m sure you didn’t guess my online costume is Emily Litella.