[I7] Failing to Compile after Windows 7 Update

Hi all,

Last week I had a whole heap of problems on my Windows 7 PC after an update. First of all, I could not open Adobe After Effects, which I use for work, because it insisted that Quicktime was not installed. Since then I have managed to get After Effects CC working, but not CS6. The problem had something to do with Quicktime being unable to access the internet. What appears to have happened is that Windows has updated its security, and AVG, which I normally use, has been put out of commission in favour of Microsoft Security Essentials.

Today, when I attempted to compile one of my I7 games, I got this message:

[code]Translating the Source - Failed
The application ran your source text through the Inform 7 compiler, as usual, but the compiler unexpectedly failed. This should not happen even if your source text is gibberish, so you may have uncovered a bug in the program.

When a program like the I7 compiler fails, it typically returns an error number: this time, the number was 2, so I7 probably stopped because of a fatal file-system error.

It is very unlikely that your computer is at fault. More likely causes are:

•disc space running out on the volume holding the project;
•trying to run a project from a read-only volume, such as a burned CD or DVD;
•trying to run a project which belongs to another user, whose files you have no permission to alter.
However, if you think it more likely that the Inform 7 compiler is at fault, please check that you have the currently distributed build of the system: if you have, please consider taking the time to fill out a bug report at the Inform bug tracker (www.inform7.com/bugs).
[/code]

Both of my I7 WIPs now produce the same error. Could this be down to the same problem? Unfortunately, I don’t have a restore point prior to the update, so whatever I do to fix this, I will have to do manually. There appear to be no viruses or malware on my machine.

Anybody able to shed light on this?

J

UPDATE:

I think I have found the problem. In the console it says

“Unable to open extensions documentation index for writing
Offending filename: <C:\Users\Jason\Documents\Inform\Documentation\Extensions.html>”

Weirdly, a lot of random files on my C: drive now appear to be hidden files, the Extensions folder amongst them.
I have no idea how this happened.

Yyyeah…that sounds eerily like the prelude to a drive failure…at least in my experience. Especially if everything’s been working fine until now.

Back up everything you have if you’ve not already.

It could be something with MSE, but in my experience that doesn’t interfere with files you installed. Unless it found something weird and unsigned with downloaded extensions?

The fact it happened with Adobe too…check that you’re backed up. Hopefully it’s not a disc problem. You may need to see if you can whitelist certain apps.