How to test whether any object is available to take

Hi, I need a way to know if any object is available to take in the room. Something like:

To decide whether there are visible objects:
if at least one thing is visible, yes;
no.

but with takeable. But takeable does not exists. How do I say something like

if at least one thing is takeable.

???

Thanks.

The adjective you want is “portable” which is the opposite of “fixed in place”.

If the player can touch a portable item that is not enclosed by the player...

that seems a good idea, but this:

If the player can touch a portable item that is not enclosed by the player

is not working.

The more far I’ve gone is this:

Rule for deciding whether all includes things inside the chest: it does not.

parser nothing error internal rule response (B) is "[If there are takeable objects]You can't use ALL in this case. Try one by one.[otherwise]There's none available.".

To decide whether there are takeable objects: 
	if at least one thing is portable in the location, yes; 
	no. 

But that test always report YES, even in locations where there are no objects available.

Ah!, the correct word is “thing” instead of “item” now it compiles… let’s see if I manage to work as I want.

[code]Rule for deciding whether all includes things inside the chest: it does not.

parser nothing error internal rule response (B) is “[If the player can touch a portable thing that is not enclosed by the player]You can’t use ALL in this case. Try one by one.[otherwise]There’s none available.”.[/code]

This does not works because always drop the message “You can’t use ALL in this case”, even when there are no takeable objects in the location. Any help?

The player is technically portable, in that they aren’t fixed in place. Something is usually take-able if it’s portable (=not fixed in place), not scenery, and not a person.

The exception being if there are rules that prevent taking. The way to check for that would be using the Hypothetical Questions extension (or so I assume: I can’t get the example to compile under 6M62). That would allow you to “hypothetically take” something, which would let you determine if that would result in you holding the item in question.

Oops! So sorry I missed that. Yes, “thing” - as “item” means different (phrases like “the item described”)

“The player” is not categorized as a person? Makes sense. Is “yourself” a separate thing that is a person (or even an actual thing)? I ask because I’ve had code where “yourself” works but “the player” does not or vice-versa. I just went along and didn’t think too hard about it, but if someone can sort that definitely for me it’s appreciated.

“The player” is a global variable, which is initially set to “yourself”, a generic person (and thus a thing). People are by default portable, simply because that’s the default for all things. A separate rule (the “can’t take people rule”) prevents the player from taking them.