A way to say nothing without provoking a line break?

I want to have an ‘every turn’ command that does nothing:

Every turn: say "";

However, this prints an extra blank line due to the ‘say’ command.

Is there any way to preserve this code format without printing the blank line?

[run paragraph on] seems to work better than [no line break]

Every turn:
	say "[run paragraph on]"

From here: dhayton.haverford.edu/wp-content … I_5_8.html

My initial reaction is “why are you using the ‘say’ phrase at all if you don’t want to say anything?” But you’re no newbie, so I assume you have a reason.

“[run paragraph on]” will probably work, but may interact oddly with the surrounding text in some circumstances. A different way might be to redefine “say” with some conditional logic that doesn’t actually “say” anything if the supplied string is blank:[code]To blanksay (the active text - a text):
if the active text is not “”, say the active text.

Every turn:
blanksay “”.[/code]Of course, if you literally need an “every turn” rule that does nothing, you could just use:Every turn: do nothing.

Thirst are great answers! I’m trying to get an every turn rule to only say something every third turn. I found many ways of doing it with weird counters, but I wanted to use an [or][or][or]Insert message here[cyclong] construction. I knew asking the question this way would give clearer answers, and your answers were crystal clear and helpful.

The acrivetrxt thing sounds great, as does ‘run paragraph on’. Thanks so much!

Actually, there are some elegant answers for that in an earlier thread I just found: https://intfiction.org/t/every-third-turn/1443/1

I saw that, but I’m working with legacy code and the revisions suggested in that thread would require extensive revision and testing that I don’t have time for. The suggestions here seem much more workable.

Sounds good. :slight_smile: Cheers