intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:41 pm 

And I just found a way to crack it out. It's not letting me put something in it, but if I enter it then drop something, the thing I dropped ends up in the backdrop. After that, going to another location makes that item vanish forever. Although, given that this is a river, that's not all that different from real life behavior. Just ask my fiance about the time I rammed our canoe into a bank, dumped him in the water, and lost his glasses.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:45 pm 

Harkness wrote:
And I just found a way to crack it out. It's not letting me put something in it, but if I enter it then drop something, the thing I dropped ends up in the backdrop. After that, going to another location makes that item vanish forever. Although, given that this is a river, that's not all that different from real life behavior. Just ask my fiance about the time I rammed our canoe into a bank, dumped him in the water, and lost his glasses.

OH CRIMINEY!!! :O
I hadn't even CONSIDERED the possibility that the player would put/drop stuff when in the river.
Well ...... their loss I guess. The river is fast and strong. Their stuff gets washed away downriver. (Just like "precious darlin' Clementine" -- from which the game is inspired ;) ) LOL
I'll just have to intercept the "dropping" action to warn them of that tho, I guess. So thanks for the heads up on THAT one. ;)
EDIT: There IS a general store in the town where the player can buy new stuff if they lose it in the river. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:05 pm 

Problem solved (I hope):

Instead of dropping something when the River-Here encloses the player, say "Not here! It could be lost forever."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:28 pm 

Harkness wrote:
Problem solved (I hope):

Instead of dropping something when the River-Here encloses the player, say "Not here! It could be lost forever."

Yeah, I'll give the player a warning, but still let them do it if they insist. Their loss ;)

I'm gonna stick with the other method of "moving" the river about tho. Doing it that way seems a bit simpler than doing it as a background. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:54 pm 

Another thing you can try if you want to do something unusual with backdrops is make something part of the backdrop. So if you make the river an enterable container that is part of the backdrop, then the container will move around with the player as the backdrop does... though then you'd need to use your rule to prevent the player from putting things in the river etc., or anything they put in the river (or drop when in the river) will magically reappear in the river with them.

Anyway, if you've got something working no need to mess with it, but it might be another approach.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 pm 

I finally got a chance to poke at this some more. After I made it transparent, I realized what matt w is talking about. The thing I dropped in there didn't vanish. It went everywhere, at the same time. I broke the laws of physics. Cool.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:25 am 

Matt W -- OH WOW! That's a really cool idea. I'll have to play around with that and see how it works. Things that get dropped in the river can simply be removed from play.
Harkness -- Nice job breaking the laws of physics there ;)

I realized another issue just as I was going about my wake-up routines: What if the player tries to go in any direction whilst in the river. D'OH! ... and OF COURSE the player will want to do that.
Shouldn't be too hard to deal with tho, as the player cannot swim and the river is exceedingly strong and dangerous. The player will likely be knocked over by the current, bang his head on a rock, go unconscious, and drown. ;)
Heck! Simply being IN the river will cause a potential for that to happen, which the player will be warned about every turn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:24 pm 

artao wrote:
]
That's how I had it at first, but backdrops can't be made enterable.

Backdrops are indeed not enterable, however, you can make an enterable container that is "part of" a backdrop and it will move with it.

Then it's an easy matter to redirect entering the backdrop to entering the correct attached container.