Inform 6 with html links?

Is there a workflow for creating links with Inform 6 that would include simple (embedded) html links (somesite.com) in the compiled game played through possible a glulx/glulxe / gargoyle?

I know it is possible with extensions using Inform 7. Is it possible going straight through the i6 compiler?

Is TADS 3 the only alternative for this purpose?

Thank you,
v/r
Jeff

The Glulx VM doesn’t support this.

The interpreter might. You can configure Quixe to display recognizable URLs as HTML links. This is only helpful if you’re building a web site with an embedded game, though – it’s not an option that the game can turn on by itself.

Vorple is another approach to this. (Again, if you’re building a web site with the game.)

Thank you for the direction.

I will look into Quixe. I thought Vorple was directed more at Inform 7.

I just prefer the lisp basis with Inform 6 and the C++ basis for TADS 3. As I delve into Inform 7, I struggle with the “natural language”. I’m learning, I am just old and slow… But, after listening to Graham Nelson’s presentation several months ago, Inform 7 is still the future for parser based IF.

Thanks again,
Jeff

The sample game on the Vorple website is in Inform 6.

Thank you,

There’s no connection left between Lisp and Inform 6, really. You can say “Inform 6 can target the same VM as an older compiler which was written in a Lisp-family language.” But that’s about it. The Z-machine VM itself has nothing Lisp-like about it.

(Unless you’re recompiling Lists and Lists.)

1 Like