syntax questions in inform7 -

Hello, im struggling with some syntax on how to ask a character a question… I want my player to be able to ask another character “CJ” the following:

Where is Tony ?
Where is the key ?

and im getting tripped up… any help would be greatly appreciated…

Inform 7 out of the box has “asking it about” and “telling it about”. You probably want to ignore the “where is” and make the actions “asking Bob about Tony” and “asking Bob about the key”. The reply can infer the “where is” - “I dunno, last time I saw Tony was in the Forest Clearing!”

See inform7.com/learn/man/WI_7_6.html

You might simplify matters by looking over Eric Eve’s “Conversation Responses” extension which automates a lot of this.

thanks HanonO, I will stay clear of the “where is” :slight_smile:

I tried messing around with the “conversation responses” but I must be missing something obvious…

for example, in the Chapter called " Various Responses", the first example they give is:

Response of Bob when asked about Bob:

I try using that for my character CJ… and added

( Response of CJ when asked about CJ: say " Im just a humble man "

and I get : Problem. You wrote ‘Response of CJ when asked about CJ’ : but the punctuation here ‘:’ makes me think this should be a definition of a phrase and it doesn’t begin as it should, with either ‘To’ (e.g. ‘To flood the riverplain:’), ‘Definition:’, a name for a rule (e.g. ‘This is the devilishly cunning rule:’), ‘At’ plus a time (e.g. ‘At 11:12 PM:’ or ‘At the time when the clock chimes’) or the name of a rulebook, possibly followed by some description of the action or value to apply to (e.g. ‘Instead of taking something:’ or ‘Every turn:’).

or when I try ( Greeting response for CJ: say “hey” ) I get : Problem. You wrote ‘Greeting response for CJ’ : but the punctuation here ‘:’ makes me think this should be a definition of a phrase and it doesn’t begin as it should, with either ‘To’ (e.g. ‘To flood the riverplain:’), ‘Definition:’, a name for a rule (e.g. ‘This is the devilishly cunning rule:’), ‘At’ plus a time (e.g. ‘At 11:12 PM:’ or ‘At the time when the clock chimes’) or the name of a rulebook, possibly followed by some description of the action or value to apply to (e.g. ‘Instead of taking something:’ or ‘Every turn:’).

Did you include the extension?

Include Conversation Responses by Eric Eve.

Yes… and If I try to reinstall, it recognizes that its installed and asks if I want to override…

I added the code " Include Conversation Responses by Eric Eve. "

Problem. I can’t find the extension ‘Conversation Framework by Eric Eve’, which seems not to be installed, but was requested by: ‘Include Conversation Framework by Eric Eve’

Conversation Responses requires code from other extensions in Eric Eve’s conversation package. The documentation will specify this.

Just download the extensions it’s asking for (in this case “Conversation Framework” and that should fix it. You don’t need to include them in your source - the extension includes them and needs them.

thank you ! Im going to dig thru the docs now - greatly appreciate the direction