Compiling Zork for Inform 7?

Hey all,
I’m trying to compile the I7 source of Zork (http://i7-dungeon.sourceforge.net/source.txt) using Inform7 (6.33/6M62).
However, it seems that there is some version incompatibilities: I get the following errors when I try to compile:

Problem. The text 'else if i is 2' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'let c be character number one in a' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'let d be character number one in b' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'if c matches the regular expression "<^A-Z>", say "That spell has no obvious effect." instead' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'if d matches the regular expression "<^A-Z>", say "That spell has no obvious effect."' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'let e be the encryption of a' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'let f be the encryption of b' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'if e is b, skip to the endgame instead' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'if f is a, skip to the endgame instead' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'say "That spell has no obvious effect."' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'else' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead? Problem. The text 'say "That spell has no obvious effect."' is followed by a semicolon ';', which only makes sense to me inside a rule or phrase (where there's a heading, then a colon, then a list of instructions divided by semicolons). Perhaps you want a full stop '.' instead?

Running the previous versions seems like it could be complicated without legacy machines.

I’d be really grateful for pointers on the best way to compile. Again sorry for all the newbie questions, I just got into Inform7 recently for academic research purposes.
Thanks

That port was made in 2008, many iterations of I7 ago, and the language has changed quite a bit since then. But you can download legacy versions from the I7 website here. Try it with 5U92, perhaps.

I ran into this exact issue with this exact project at one point. The answer is to install an old version of Inform in parity with the vintage of the project – as the I7 download pages for earlier versions says, “This is no longer the current build. Almost all users should look for the latest one. Old builds like this are unsupported, and are kept only for the benefit of people who need exactly to recreate the system as it stood in the past, perhaps to replicate an old Inform project.”

That last clause – it’s you.

I was able to run that code for my spanish translation in this inform version:

Release 6 / Serial number 150514 / Inform 7 build 6G60 (I6/v6.32 lib 6/12N)

I hope it helps!

An alternative that supplied the functionality I needed was this wrapper by Microsoft:
github.com/Microsoft/jericho

Thanks