I7 - Planetfall and TAKE ALL GOO FROM THE KIT.

I am still new to Inform and haven’t written any Z5 or Z8 IF for a while, so I don’t know if it’s the command parser or the standard Inform library that has a shortcoming here.

I would really like to be able to support commands that act on like-type things. An excellent example would be Infocom’s Planetfall which supported this sort of command well. Rather than taking ALL as a pronoun, essentially it could parse it as a pronoun or an adjective.

Anything I am missing here?

Inform 7 does support this. Try this code:

[code]Lab is a room.

Goo is a kind of thing.

The red goo is goo in the lab.
The green goo is goo in the lab.

Test me with “get all goo”.[/code]

It’s the “Goo is a kind of…” line that’s important.

This is one case where I swore I tried exactly that, but probably missed some tiny feature of the syntax. Thanks for the working example. I even added a non-goo thing to the test above, and it worked as expected.

Note that the previous example works only because both things have “goo” in their names, not because they are a kind of goo. You should add ‘Understand “goo” as goo’ to make every goo kind work as expected.

[code]Lab is a room.

Goo is a kind of thing.

Understand “goo” as goo.

The red goo is goo in the lab.
The green goo is goo in the lab.
The blue blob is goo in the lab.

Test me with “get all goo”.[/code]

And the new version of Inform 7 has specific handling for understanding plurals - go to http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7Downloads/ReleaseNotes.txt and search for “plural of”.