Pause the game cuts off replay through skein

Hello

I’m coding on OS X Lion and the latest build of Inform 7, but now that I’m doing my first Glulx project I noticed one rather annoying problem: whenever I hit “replay” or “play to here” in Skein, a “pause the game” that requires the player to press space cuts off the replay. Pressing “play to here” multiple times seems to work, but it’s annoying. Is this a known bug / is there a workaround?

1 Like

I take it that you’re using “Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short”. You could try adding this to your source.

To pause the/-- game: say "[paragraph break]Press ANY KEY to continue."; wait for any key; clear the screen.

This will allow any key to be pressed rather than just the spacebar.

Hope this helps.

I’ve encountered this too. I usually only use pause at the beginning of the game so I can comment it out for testing.

1 Like

Actually, now I come to think of it, I’ve come across something similar before. However, it’s only when importing files into the skein which include the spacebar key. I find that adjusting the “pause the game” code to work for any key and then not using the space key is a good workaround for this.

All right, thank you - I’ll have to tweak that a bit. As it is now, testing a game is pretty damn annoying :confused:

If you do that, can I suggest excluding the arrow keys? A pet peeve of mine is when games interpret my scrolling activities as please-clear-the-screen activities.

Well, it doesn’t work for me. But maybe it’s because I’m using a glulx boxed quotation.

The “replay” button works up to the first “press WHATEVER YOU MAY SEE FIT TO to continue”.

Yep, crap - seems like that for me too. This is actually quite a nasty problem, since debugging a game got just a whole lot more difficult. The interesting thing is that with z8 projects it works without a hitch. Methinks a bug report is in order.

For the time being, you can do this:

[code]Section 2 - Not for release

To pause the/-- game:
Do nothing.[/code]It doesn’t have to be section 2, but you get the idea.

This is the technique I used as well when I ran into this problem today. Works great! Thanks for the tip.