intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:16 am 

Hi all

I'm very new to Inform and was wondering if I could get some help.

I've been tearing my hair out trying to compile a game that worked just fine before and now, seemingly for no reason, won't. And what makes it even more boggling to me is that it's an error with an extension. It's Conversational Framework by Eric Eve, and the errors are:

Code:
In Book 2 - Abbreviated commands for addressing the current interlocutor in the extension Conversation Framework by Eric Eve:

Problem. In the sentence 'let np be the number of visible people who are not the player'  , I was expecting to read a description of values, but instead found some text that I couldn't understand - 'visible people who are not the player'.

I was trying to match this phrase:

number of (visible people who are not the player - description of values)

This was what I found out:

visible people who are not the player = something unrecognised

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem. In the sentence 'let the interlocutor be a random visible person who is not the player'  , I was expecting to read a description of values, but instead found some text that I couldn't understand - 'visible person who is not the player'.

a/-- random (visible person who is not the player - description of values)

visible person who is not the player = something unrecognised

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Book 3 - Greeting Protocols, Chapter 2 - Greeting in the extension Conversation Framework by Eric Eve:

Problem. In the sentence 'now the noun is a random visible person who is not the player'  , I was expecting to read a description of values, but instead found some text that I couldn't understand - 'visible person who is not the player'.

a/-- random (visible person who is not the player - description of values)

visible person who is not the player = something unrecognised

I've had Conversational Framework and Defaults installed since the beginning so I'm very confused.

Thanks!

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:51 am 

First question: Have you added any other extensions recently?

Second question: Are you using the word "visible" in your own code for any reason?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:50 pm 

Thanks for the reply Mr. Aikin!

In response to your first question
The only extension that I've added recently is List Control by Eric Eve, and that was after the fact to try and fix the problem, which it did not.

Complete list of extensions included: Basic Help Menu by Emily Short.
Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.
Plurality by Emily Short.
Epistemology by Eric Eve.
List Control by Eric Eve.
Conversation Framework by Eric Eve.
Conversational Defaults by Eric Eve.

In response to your second
Yes. Only once and it relates to conversation. Here is the code:

Code:
Talking to is an action applying to one visible thing.
Understand "talk to [someone]" or “converse with
[someone]” as talking to.
Check talking to: say "[The noun] doesn't reply."

I can't remember if this was written after or before I started having problems. I'm pretty sure it was already there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:08 pm 

I just realized I forgot to add this to the problem list that came out. This is the part of my code.

Quote:

Problem. In the sentence 'if player is examining something, say "There is not a complete absence of [...] t enough to continue on in safety." otherwise "Your headlamp illuminates your path adequately."' , it looks as if you intend 'player is examining something' to be a condition, but that would mean comparing two kinds of value which cannot mix - a person and a - so this must be incorrect.

if (player is examining something - a condition) , (say "There is not a complete absence of light here but not enough to continue on in safety." otherwise "Your headlamp illuminates your path adequately." - a phrase)

player is examining something = a condition

say "There is not a complete absence of [...] t enough to continue on in safety." otherwise "Your headlamp illuminates your path adequately." = an instruction to do something

and here is the code:

Code:
Rule for printing a refusal to act in the dark: if player is examining something, say "There is not a complete absence of light here but not enough to continue on in safety." otherwise "Your headlamp illuminates your path adequately."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:39 pm 

There I think you want "if examining something" or "if examining something" rather than "If the player is examining something." If you want to do something more complicated you could use the current action (see section 12.20 of the documentation), but you probably don't need it here.

The error message is definitely bugged -- it looks like this one, but maybe it'd be worth reporting.

I'm also not sure that you can put the if and the otherwise on the same line like that, but I could be wrong.

(I'm a bit confused by the otherwise message -- if it's a refusal to act in the dark, isn't it misleading to say "Your headlamp illuminates your path adequately"? That suggests that there is sufficient light.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:11 pm 

Thanks for pointing that out Matt! I cleaned up my code and that part seems to be working correctly (for now anyways), thank you. i changed it to:

Code:
Rule for printing a refusal to act in the dark: 
   if examining something:
      say "There isn't a complete absence of light here but not enough to examine something adequately."

Visibility rule when in darkness:
   if the headlamp is switched on:
      say "Your headlamp illuminates your path adequately."

Visibility rule when in darkness:
   if the headlamp is switched off:
      say "It's too dark here to continue on."

I wonder if that will be run now but I won't know yet because I'm still getting the same error messages with the extension. There's something I must be missing because it worked fine before. Why would it give me errors/bugs in the extension? I've tried re-downloading and installing but it doesn't seem to help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 pm 

Everett wrote:
I wonder if that will be run now but I won't know yet because I'm still getting the same error messages with the extension. There's something I must be missing because it worked fine before. Why would it give me errors/bugs in the extension? I've tried re-downloading and installing but it doesn't seem to help.

My Inform is really rusty, so no guarantees, but if you want to send me the source code I'll take a look at it and see if I can spot anything wonky. Sometimes it's something completely unrelated to the error message, like a missing carriage return character or something. I'm at midiguru23 [at] sbcglobal [dot] net. If you want to try this, let me know which versions of all of the extensions you have. My extensions folder is fairly current, but not completely....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:39 pm 

Everett wrote:
Thanks for pointing that out Matt! I cleaned up my code and that part seems to be working correctly (for now anyways), thank you. i changed it to:

Code:
   if examining something:
      say "There isn't a complete absence of light here but not enough to examine something adequately."

This seems dangerous -- if you aren't examining then this won't print anything at all, I don't think. You can try this:

Code:
   if examining:
       say "You can't see anything in here.";
   otherwise:
      continue the activity.

(Doesn't help with your other issue of course.)

Also looking at 17.16 suggests that "if we are examining something" would also work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 am 

Quote:
This seems dangerous -- if you aren't examining then this won't print anything at all, I don't think.

You're absolutely correct, I really missed that one, thanks. Yeah, if you're in the dark how would you examine anything anyway? :oops: What you have is much better. I think I wanted to incorporate low-light conditions, in which you could move around but not examine, but I can't remember.

Yeah, I think I was looking at 17.16 when I wrote that. Thanks, Matt, what a huge help.

This extension thing has got me really bummed. Maybe I should learn Inform 6 or TADS?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 am 

If you don't know anymore what has changed between when it worked and when it stopped working, the best (maybe only) way to debug is to start a new project, copy-paste the story source code there and remove code small segments at a time and trying to compile in between changes. When the story compiles normally you know that you've just removed the offending part.

(It also helps to compile more often instead of writing huge chunks before trying if any of it works.)