intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:11 pm 

Here's something I'd like to try: announce that I'm going to play and comment on a specific IF game, and invite all of you to join in. Not Club Floyd style, by playing it live together, but just each of us playing the game when it's convenient for us, knowing that other people are doing so as well and we'll be able to talk about it and exchange hints if it turns out to be difficult. It should be fun. It should lead to some good topics here. And it should be a good way of getting ourselves to play more IF! (I don't know about you, but often I find myself choosing the path of least resistance and playing some less demanding but also less fulfilling type of game.)

I'm planning to choose all kinds of games: recent and old, puzzlefests and puzzleless, hard and easy, well-known and obscure, commercial and free, parser-based and link-based, games I've never played and games I want to revisit. Of course, I'm only going to choose games that for one reason or another I think will be worth playing; also, only games that you can easily obtain.

Let's see whether this works! For this first instalment, I invite all of you to play Till Death Makes a Monk-Fish Out of Me by Mike Sousa and Jon Ingold from 2002. It's a TADS 2 game, and since it was entered in the IF Comp, it should be pretty short. (I'll probably choose a bigger game for instalment #2.)

The game placed second in the IF Comp 2002 and was nominated for four XYZZY awards, so it should be well worth playing. Also, the title makes one curious.

I haven't played it yet, will do so within the next few days. If you play it earlier, please post whatever you wish! Review, analysis, question, hint request... as far as I'm concerned, anything goes. (If we ever come around to a big puzzlefest, we'll probably want a separate hint thread, but I'm not expecting that to be necessary here.)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:50 pm 

A tiny hint related to a topic posted here recently:
Spoiler: show
There is at least one situation where "search" has to be used and "examine" does not suffice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:23 pm 

I'm in. Played long ago; I remember enjoying it, and I remember a few details, but I would be up for replaying.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:28 pm 

Also, searches for "book club" in rgif will yield similar discussion-starting efforts from the distant past, though I don't think this particular game was ever covered. Just FYI.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:40 am 

Duncan Stevens wrote:
Also, searches for "book club" in rgif will yield similar discussion-starting efforts from the distant past, though I don't think this particular game was ever covered. Just FYI.

OK! I know that there was a very short-lived "Game of the Month" feature on this forum way, way back. (Though probably not as far back as the rgif book club.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:35 am 

Over the years, I've really gotten used to consulting hints quite early. But in Victor's Variomatic I'm determined not to do so if I can help it. That means that I'm currently stuck -- description below -- but I'll try to persevere. And actually, it's kind of fun. I'm reading some articles on non-reductive physicalism, and suddenly new things to try in the game pop into my head unbidden.

I got all the way to the computer. I currently have a, shall we say, "black oblong" and a button on my hand. Not sure how I can make the computer's main use useful to me, though, or how to get through the airlock.

Past that! Very nice change of pace after that, I'm enjoying this game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:36 pm 

All right. I finished it, well worth a play. I'll wait a few days before I do a write-up, to give other people the chance to play and perhaps chime in first.

If you need a hint, let me know. (Though the game has a built-in hint system.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:05 pm 

Thanks for organizing this Victor. It'll help a newbie like me get into some more obscure titles, and nice to have discussion around the title while playing it. I'll play Monkfish over the next couple days (after I put Varicella to bed.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:21 am 

Quote:
a newbie like me

Quote:
after I put Varicella to bed

You're a brave soul.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:01 am 

Quote:
a newbie like me

I mean that in that I haven't really played IF since the 80's until the last couple of months. But I have played through something like 35 titles in the short time I've been playing; enough to have some familiarity with some conventions and strategies of the genre.

Quote:
You're a brave soul.

Lol. Varicella's not as difficult as its reputation suggests, but it did put me in the interesting position of greatly enjoying the playstyle and setting, but strongly disliking some of the depictions. It's a complicated title. I posted my thoughts in a review on IFDB.

On to the Monk-fish!

(Sorry for thread-jacking, Victor.)