intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:29 am 

If you noticed on Saturday that, for a few hours, the Archive server was rolled back to late 2013... that was totally on purpose. *Totally on purpose.*

(But, in fact, my fault. Oops.)

Anyway. For the past several years, the Archive has hummed happily away on an ameroid combompeter with supramitive wennelsprocks, down in the basement of Carnegie Mellon's Wean Hall. It was a fine ameroid combompeter, but it's been getting somewhat creaky and the neighbors have complained about the sprockendroppen.

We therefore started working on a new plan last fall. It has now been executed. The Archive has been shifted to a new host, courtesy of Mark Musante. (And also serverpronto.com.) The new machine is a state-of-the-art golian ceraflamingo with dual-drive lawn quoits. Thanks to Mark for taking over the hosting detail.

David Kinder will continue to maintain the files, with Jason McIntosh jumping in when IFComp time comes around. Goob and I will continue to work invisible magic backstage. So you shouldn't notice any differences.

If you *do* notice any differences, or if anything on the new server fails to work, or if you discover more out-of-date content -- please let us know.

(As far as I know, no files were uploaded on Saturday. If you uploaded a file and it's not in http://ifarchive.org/if-archive/unprocessed/ , it got lost in the razzle-dazzle. Send it over again.)

One very minor change: the address http://infodoc.ifarchive.org/ used to be a mirror of http://infodoc.plover.net/. However, it had gotten out of date. To avoid confusion, that address now *redirects* to http://infodoc.plover.net/.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:02 am 

Just noticed that a version of adv3Lite11.zip was left on the old machine from Saturday morning. I have moved this to unprocessed on the new machine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:33 pm 

Dunno if this is related, but I can't seem to connect to the IF Archive. Mirrors still work okay, though. I'm using Mozilla Firefox on Windows Vista, if that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:52 pm 

The whole thing seems to have fallen over. That's not good.

Will check with Mark.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:33 pm 

(It's possible that somebody rebooted it manually as part of installing the latest SSL security fix. That's not confirmed, though. I'll let you know.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:46 pm 

Seems to be working right now. Did you ever find out what caused the problem?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:34 pm 

Not yet.