[I7 6L02] French extension

Where is the experimental French extension?

The Changelog says: “The draft ‘French Language’ extension, which is still incomplete in that it doesn’t translate the Responses, is published alongside this build for the benefit of anybody interested”, but I can’t find it anywhere.

I need it as a sample to write an ‘Italian Language’ extension, since the old one does not work on 6L02. Thank you in advance for any help!

I’ve asked Graham about this, and it looks like it hasn’t yet been posted (despite what the change log says). I’ve told him people are eager to have a look at it, but it will probably be a few days before he has the opportunity to put it up.

I’ll have a look at it for sure when it’ll be available! :wink:
I could also try to add the Responses for the previous extension if it’s possible.

Thank you very much!

In the meantime, I’m writing an Italian extension through modifications to “Languages.i6t” and the “responses” mechanism. That would be enough for a while, but adding italian verbs conjugation, to support viewpoints and tenses, using a “Syntax.preform” would be awesome (and an example in a language different from English would help a lot).

Thank you again!

sorry to ask again, but since some of the new features of the new release of I7 is the new translation system, and several people are waiting for this, I’d be pleased to get this, even if it’s in its current work in progress version. (we got a file in 2011 but it has probably evolved since this time)

Yeah, I understand. I suspect it may be a few days before it’s possible to do anything about this, entirely for life-is-overscheduled reasons, but we haven’t forgotten.

Finally, after a long search, I’ve found three language extensions. The old “French Language” (an old preview that dates back to 2011 that gives errors with 6L02), the current “Spanish Language” in development (it works fine but I don’t think it’s complete yet) and “Italian Language” by Massimo Stella (2012).
I was interested in the latter since the beginning and finally I’ve found it. It seems to work quite well with 6L02, except with adjectives.
Writing something like “In Italian ingombrante is an adjective” gives an error (or, better, does not give any error: simply the compilation stops without any message in the results).
I’ve found a workaround to avoid the use of those adjectives and I’m a bit worried by the fact that neither the Spanish nor the French extensions available use adjectives. Are adjectives broken in 6L02?

Hello,
Digging up old posts here, but is the French extension going to be made available soon? I know a few people who really want to try it :wink:

I’ve put the code from 2011 there, if some people want to contribute and try to build something:

bitbucket.org/farvardin/inform7-fr/src

I updated the old draft from 2011 and it includes now all the translated responses from the Standard Rules (I just took them from the previous French extension, adding the ones that were missing) I corrected some bugs as well. Farvardin updated the link above, so you can take a look if you want.

It is now possible to create an IF with it, however there is a major problem:
The pronouns are adaptive, so you can change the point of view, but the verbs do not conjugate.
If one use a French verb, the compiler crashes (same thing for the adjectives). I suspect the Preform part to be at fault.

It would be great if I could have a look on the experimental French extension, so that I can finish the work (I do not want to rewrite all the Preform part if it has already been written).

Thanks!

We created a group for the code:

bitbucket.org/informfr/i7-french-language/src

hi!
It would great if we can share our expertice in translation work.

For example, in spanish work with genders we discovered that I7 set the correct female/male propertie and “grammatical gender” propertie if we define the objects using the appropiate indefinite-article or definite-article.
Ej:

Gimnasio is a room. La pelota is in gimnasio. [ie: the ball is in the gym, ball is femine in spanish]

And when you compile:

>showme pelota pelota - thing location: in gimasio singular-named, improper-named; unlit, inedible, portable; female printed name: "pelota" printed plural name: none indefinite article: none grammatical gender: feminine gender description: none initial appearance: none

Note the syncro between female and feminine gender. I7 make this in compiling time.

It is not need to implicit declare that An object can be female or male. and all that stuff.
We saw that with this last fix, I7 sets incorrecty female and neuter gender, and then the adaptative texts fail.

Other way to set gender in new I7 is:

Des lampes (f) sont mécanismes dans Petit Couloir.

In that way, preform and are crucial.

Hey, that works!
It’s just old habits to write “the lampe” instead of “la lampe”.

Thanks a lot, sarganar!

Thank you Sarganar, as always!

It works also in “Italian Language” by Massimo Stella. Thank you for explaining the feature!

This happens also in “Italian Language”, but now it’s no more a problem :wink:

In “Italian Language” by Massimo Stella, italian verbs work fine, but adjectives make the compiler crash. Now I’m using a simple workaround to avoid the adjectives’ crash, but I’m curious to know what’s going wrong.

I’ve tried to contact Graham Nelson to get the new French extensions they made, but the old email is no longer working, unfortunately.

note: The new way to set feminine gender seems to be a good idea, unfortunately it breaks old code, and besides it doesn’t work in all the cases, for example how could could define something is both plural and feminine gender? In French for singular feminine it would be “une pomme” (an apple), for plural it would be “des pommes”.

If I use this code:

Des lampes are device in Petit Couloir. They are feminine gender.

then I get a run time error:

Try again with Emily. She has already answered to a question about the updated French extension in May. If I remember well she said that it was going to become public soon, because a lot of people was asking for it :wink:

In italian, both these forms work:

1. The poltrone are a feminine gender plural-named enterable supporter.
  2. La poltrone are an enterable supporter. Poltrone is plural-named.

The ideal would be:

1. Le poltrone are an enterable supporter.

but it does not work. However, I haven’t studied that piece of “Italian Language” yet.

try this:

Des lampes (f) are device in Petit Couloir.

[note de (f) ]
(I didn’t test it)

In italian I tried:

Le poltrone (f) are an enterable supporter.

It works, in fact it makes those “poltrone” both plural-named and feminine gender.
Thank you!