intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:03 am 

I have posted this question on IFWiki as well. Posting here in the hopes that more people will see it.

Quote:
Baf's Guide listings: what now?
The style guide for the "links" section [on a person's page] says "The next link listed should be, if available, the Baf's Guide listing for that person." Since Baf's Guide is no longer maintained as far as I can tell, what should we do about the existing Baf's guide links: delete? Point to saved captures at the Internet Archive? And going forward, should the style guide be changed to request a link to the person's IFDB profile instead, or an IFDB search for games they'd authored, or...?

(Also: how are decisions about IFWiki style guides typically made? Is there someone officially in charge I should be asking?)

Edited to add to the topic name.

Last edited by bg on Fri May 27, 2016 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:58 pm 

Changing the style guide to request IFDB profiles seems a good idea to me. Not sure about the existing links - did Baf's Guide have any information that isn't on the IFDB page anyway?

My games: Zeppelin Adventure (Spring Thing 2018), Detectiveland, The Xylophoniad, Draculaland, Aunts and Butlers and Hamlet
Tweets: @rdouglasjohnson
Support me on Patreon and get feelies in the mail!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:24 am 

robinjohnson wrote:
Not sure about the existing links - did Baf's Guide have any information that isn't on the IFDB page anyway?

For anyone following this--the general impression I've gotten from asking people elsewhere is that all significant info from Baf's Guide can be found at IFDB. (And of course IFDB will have newer stuff as well.)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:27 pm 

First, bg, many thanks for your great contributions on the IFWiki! :D I used to contribute, but I no longer have the motivation now, and apparently it's also the case of David Welbourn, who was by far the biggest contributor; so your updates are the main reason the IFWiki is still alive.

About the Baf's Guide: does anybody know if Baf intends to put it back online someday? But as far as I know, "all significant info from Baf's Guide can be found at IFDB" is correct, so links to Baf's Guide would probably be redundant if we have IFDB links.

Anyway, whether we keep the Baf's Guide links or not, I agree that the style guide should now say that there should be links to IFDB. I think we'd need links to their IFDB profile and to an IFDB search for games they authored, because not every author has a profile on the IFDB (only authors who have an IFDB account).

bg wrote:
(Also: how are decisions about IFWiki style guides typically made? Is there someone officially in charge I should be asking?)

The style guides were almost exclusively David Welbourn's work (User:Dswxyz), with some suggestions by other people on the Talk Pages. But as I said, he's not much on the IFWiki any more; you could try sending him an e-mail.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:29 pm 

Thanks Eriorg!

Eriorg wrote:
your updates are the main reason the IFWiki is still alive.

Yikes. Is it worthwhile to try to keep it going then? Does it overlap too much with IFDB for people to see it as useful?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:56 pm 

bg wrote:
Is it worthwhile to try to keep it going then? Does it overlap too much with IFDB for people to see it as useful?

I use IFWiki mostly for its curated collections of links like this one. These don't need frequent maintenance to remain useful.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:02 pm 

I find it useful, I prefer to go to IFWiki before IFDB. Also, I'm beginning contributing (only for the French works, for the moment). I wouldn't be happy if IFWiki dies.

As for the original question, I have no idea, because I don't really know Baf's Guide, but according to IFWiki itself, it has been replaced by IFDB.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:50 pm 

The wiki platform is much stronger than IFDB. Using Semantic Mediawiki extension or a complex tree of categories it's possible to put all info from IFDB on wiki.

But. There is no program for that.

Anyone can go to the wiki right now and start removing all the dead links and archiving the working ones. It would require a tremendous amount of man-hours, about a month or so. But a programmer can automate that in a day. And put the script on every day repeat.

Wikipedia has the dead link problem too. They already have the bots. Open source, even. A bot doesn't need the admin account, it's just like a regular user with a username and a password.

We need a bot to clear the wiki of junk links. Forever.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:08 pm 

I like the idea of dealing with dead links in an automated way. Ideally the bot could search for a replacement link on the Internet Archive as well.

Does anyone know how to set this up?

How do people feel about narrowing the scope of IFWiki to make it easier to maintain, and also to make less of an overlap with IFDB? For instance, drastically simplifying the individual game/work pages, so they'd consist mostly just of a link to the relevant IFDB entry, and maybe a few internal links (to the author, authoring system, etc.)

Then there could be more of a focus on the stuff the IFWiki was originally intended for. The links to theory and craft articles and history and such.

Also--would someone mind pointing me to David Welbourn's email address, or point him to this thread? I'd like to hear his thoughts on this.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:08 pm 

(Er, mods, please feel free to split this into a new thread about the future of IFWiki if you think that makes more sense.)