The Neinth annual New Year's Minicomp

Hi!

Wait a minute … another comp? Isn’t there interesting stuff already running, like imaginary games from imaginary universes, a little known thing called Spring Thing and of course the annual german Grand Prix?

Isn’t that enough comps?

Our answer, of course is

Nein!

(Yes, we’re bringing the punny titles back.)

it’s my pleasure to announce the

The Neinth annual New Year’s Minicomp!

For those unfamiliar with this, a short explanation as to the motivation behind it. It’s meant to offer people a chance at writing a small work of IF at the end of the year. This year, we follow our tradition of having next to no rules:

1. Write whatever game you like, in any system you like. (Take note of the CF announcement below).

2. Finish any project you have been working on.

Any approach that lies between the two is also okay.

If you’re thinking “So am I allowed to…” the answer is „yes, absolutely, please do“. To make it clear: You have to work very hard to come up with something I won’t allow as an entry. (If you scribble a 3 room CYOA on a piece of paper and mail it to me, I’ll consider it a qualified entry. If you write an automated haiku generator, sure, why not. Anything is allowed.) [Anything illegal or in bad faith will be disqualified. No refunds.]

If you’re in need of some inspiration the IF Name Generator which can be found here :
nitku.net/if/namegenerator/.

Games should be submitted to marius.ts.muellerSPAM@gmail.com by 23:59 GMT+1, Jan 2rd 2016.

The games will be played on Clubfloyd on January 3rd (Thanks, Jacq!) So, if you want your game to be CF compatible, choose your format accordingly. According to ifwiki:

Quote:

Thank you and , most importantly, have fun!

Ok, so Choice Script = yes, Twine = no, right? Because of compatability?

This sounds super fun btw /sets to coming up with ideas.

You could submit something in Twine, but we won’t be able to play it on Floyd.

Ok. This time I’m doing that idea I had for 2013. No, really!

I also recommend this to anyone who wants to write something without the specter of competition.

It’s Jacq, ClubFloyd organizer here. Yes, Floyd can run Choice Script, but! Either (A) your deadline might have to be earlier or (B) we’d have to play your game the second week of January (often the New Year’s even takes two weeks to get through all the games) because we have to send ChoiceScript games off to Dan Fabulous* so that he can convert them. We have not yet reached out to him to ask him to do this, and there is no guarantee that he will be able to do it this time, but he has a history of being very accommodating for ClubFloyd. I’d say write your game first, and if it comes to fruition I’ll submit all the CS games to him at the same time in the hope that he’ll do them as a group (rather than people nickel and diming him). No guarantees, but I’ll drop a note now to put the potential on his radar.

Best,

• Jacqueline
  • It’s really spelled Fabulich, but I can never help myself. Apologies, Dan.

Yes, please do give me heads up if you decide to do this. (My ClubFloyd converter has fallen into disrepair.)

Are aliases allowed?
I might make a quickie. Not like the huge games my portfolio is made of today.

Let me quote the rules:

… am I allowed to assist the proletariat in overthrowing the bourgeoisie?

But yeah no I got an idea.

More information to follow never because I like secret projects. [emote]:)[/emote] new year’s, right. see you then.

What’s stoppin’ ya?

Hello! It’s not particularly likely I’ll finish my WIP in time, but if I do, I’d like to submit it. It won’t be in one of the formats you said, though - I have my own Javascript engine that I’m happier to use (the one used for my games at versificator.net ). I know you said all games are eligible anyway, but what are the implications of it not being playable on Floyd? Will it still get judged?

Oh, hey, Robin! Cool to see you’re still around and writing IF!

(Sorry, I know this doesn’t actually answer the question.)

This comp isn’t judged. You could submit it, it’ll be put up with the other games, just no Floyd for you.

Same! I don’t actually know you, but I had a lot of fun with Hamlet recently, so thanks for that! No-nonsense oldschool, just-enough implementation, good humour… excellent stuff. [emote]:)[/emote]

Floyd? What Floyd?

Who’s this Floyd person I’ve been hearing of lately?

ClubFloyd. ifwiki.org/index.php/ClubFloyd

Also, well, y’know, Floyd. ifwiki.org/index.php/Floyd

zcmsdkfh hoping I can get something up in time (with beta testing arghhh)!

So I have a game I’m planning on quietly releasing on the 24th - would it be acceptable to also submit it to this minicomp?

Another question - will the games be eligible for the 2016 Xyzzies?

They will not be eligible for the upcoming Xyzzies, but they will for the year after that.