intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:57 pm 

I have just tried Fabularium and am very happy with it. I have been using the Text Fiction app until now but it is limited in what game types it will support. But it does have support for color 'themes'. Dark themes in particular. The description of Fabularium says that text color can be changed, and there is a 'Background color' in the settings. But I can not figure out how to change text color. I see nothing like that in the settings. And the background color (default is white) seems to do nothing at all. The initial screens are beautiful! But the harsh black and white of a game screen is quite a let down. I would really like to be able to set up something much like Fabularium's initial screen colors in the games. I hope color options are on the to-do list.

Regards,
Gord Seifert

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:15 pm 

Will Fabularium be made available as open source? (Please? :D )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:55 am 

gkseifert wrote:
The description of Fabularium says that text color can be changed, and there is a 'Background color' in the settings. But I can not figure out how to change text color. I see nothing like that in the settings. And the background color (default is white) seems to do nothing at all.
I played around with Fabularium a bit. You can change background color and text color but you have to change them in the fab.ini file. This can be done from within Fabularium: Go to the Explore tab and click on the fab.ini file. The file will then open in Fabulariums built in text editor. Then scroll down to the section "Colors and style definitions". There is a field called windowcolor which is the background color. For the text color there is a field called tcolor 0 which is the standard text color. Remember to save the file after you change it. If you regret your changes you can always choose the option "Reset config files".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:46 am 

I've managed to sideload Fabularium onto a Amazon Fire and it works great.

The one thing I would like is a bit more customisation on the game chooser screen. Maybe font size, maybe a bit more room for long game names, maybe a list view of title (and other info) rather than an icon view (so we can see author name, series name etc).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:58 pm 

onirim wrote:
This looks fantastic. Ok, how could I import / restore an old Gargoyle savefile I have? Fabularium can't read those saved games and gargoyle won't export them to a "standard format", right?

Given that Fabularium uses interpreters from Gargoyle, any existing save files from Gargoyle ought to work without any problems.

It looks like Fabularium stores save files in the directory Fabularium/GameData. Each game gets its own directory which appears to be the IFID of the game, inside of which are save files matching *.glksave. You should be able to just copy one of your saves from Gargoyle to the proper location there and it'll be avaialable. I presume Fabularium filters on the .glksave extension but I'm not sure.

And of course saves from Fabularium should work just fine in Gargoyle as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:10 am 

cas wrote:
onirim wrote:
This looks fantastic. Ok, how could I import / restore an old Gargoyle savefile I have? Fabularium can't read those saved games and gargoyle won't export them to a "standard format", right?

Given that Fabularium uses interpreters from Gargoyle, any existing save files from Gargoyle ought to work without any problems.

It looks like Fabularium stores save files in the directory Fabularium/GameData. Each game gets its own directory which appears to be the IFID of the game, inside of which are save files matching *.glksave. You should be able to just copy one of your saves from Gargoyle to the proper location there and it'll be avaialable. I presume Fabularium filters on the .glksave extension but I'm not sure.

And of course saves from Fabularium should work just fine in Gargoyle as well.

Spoiler: show

All right! Thank you! I just renamed the savefiles from .sav to .glksave and it just worked. Thanks for your help.