intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:52 am 

I'd echo jkj yuio in emphasizing the importance of keeping the core game simple. Part of what makes Cloak of Darkness work is that it's easy to whip up an implementation with minimal effort - whereas the idea of reimplementing the entirety of "Balances" isn't nearly as appealing.

Ideally, that means designing a single, simple puzzle that demonstrates if and how the system implements the feature list, without being tied to any specific world model. (i.e.: you're not demonstrating the system's ability to implement a specific technical vision of NPC-as-moving-object, you're demonstrating how the system goes about more broadly giving the player the impression of a moving NPC, as well as what other technical bells and whistles might make it appealing to authors.) Cloak of Darkness is very clever in this regard, hitting a deceptively large number of technical points in a single scene, but with enough flexibility that radically different systems can implement it.

I might also suggest extending Cloak of Darkness rather than entirely replacing it. The IF scene is a nostalgic bunch, so "Cloak of Darkness: Advanced" may have more appeal than a wholly new game.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:30 pm 

prevtenet wrote:
I might also suggest extending Cloak of Darkness rather than entirely replacing it. The IF scene is a nostalgic bunch, so "Cloak of Darkness: Advanced" may have more appeal than a wholly new game.

May I suggest "Cloak of Darkness: Revenge of The Bouncer"?

In the cloakroom, there are two additional objects on the floor: A piece of paper with the phrase, "The rooster crows at midnight," and a name tag that says "Big Boss".

In front of the door to the bar stands a bouncer. If the player is wearing the cloak, the bouncer can't see him and simply responds "who said that?" to anything that is said to him.

If the cloak is off and the player is wearing the name tag, the bouncer says, "Good evening boss, let me get the door," and opens the door.

If the cloak is off and the player isn't wearing the name tag, but they say "The rooster crows at midnight," the bouncer responds with "time flies like an arrow."

If the player then responds with "fruit flies like a banana," the bouncer says, "Welcome, right through this door, please.", and opens the door. Otherwise, he says "scram, buddy, if you know what's good for you."

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:01 am 

I like some of these ideas. definitely if an extended COD were designed, a "bouncer" might be a good character to have.

There could be some kind of "pass-phrase" as suggested or possibly a physical object like an "invitation". The pass-phrase idea works well with dialog, but for the game to be generic, what will it do when there is no parser input? Having the pass-phrase as a choice make it too easy.

I think to be a success the design needs to accommodate various forms of IF styles including; parser, choice, point-and-click etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:55 am 

jkj yuio wrote:
The pass-phrase idea works well with dialog, but for the game to be generic, what will it do when there is no parser input? Having the pass-phrase as a choice make it too easy.

Not necessarily:

Bouncer: "Time flies like an arrow"

Choices:

1. "and pierces cupid's heart."
2. "Fruit flies like a banana."
3. "time and time again."
4. "No rest for the wicked."

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 am 

A simple way to implement a combination lock in a CYOA would be to have ten choices to enter the first number, one of which goes to the entry page for the second number on the "correct" path and all the other choices go to the false path. As each digit is entered you either stay on the correct path or switch to the false path that finishes with a page that says the safe did not open.

I don't believe the demo should avoid features that are impossible in some systems. The example for such a system should simply say that it could not be done and it had to be omitted.

The main purpose of such a demo is to show people how to accomplish various non-standard features in a variety of IF systems so that they can choose the system that best suits them and what they want to do, and then shows them how to implement that feature.
I agree that it should be as small and simple as possible, but by omitting repeats and too obvious options. For example, there should only be one lock that is opened with a key and there should not be any doors that you can simply walk through. Each door should demonstrate a different way to lock a door: a combination lock, a voice command, a puzzle, or a door that can only be opened by going a different way and opening it from the other side.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:06 pm 

I started making a spec for a game called "mothership".

here's some screenshots;

There's the beginnings of a PDF specification also, here.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:27 am 

there's at least one extended CoD (15458 bytes source re. 3180 bytes) in the ZILF 0.8 samples, whose seems to me a good base for an extended CoD definition.

A 4228 bytes blurb of it is in McGrew's Learning Zil, I'll quote it below is because looks to me a good definition of the implementation:

Quote:
This poor, extended Cloak of Darkness example is now stuffed with extra
things that in no way provide an interesting gaming experience, but do
provide demonstrations of several aspects of the ZILF libary (the world
model and special routines in parser.zil).

Intended for testing the ZILF library, it will serve as a demo of
ZILF features/coding and eventually be replaced with a better
demo.

SAVE, RESTORE, RESTART, AGAIN, WAIT and UNDO should all function as expected.

If you find any bugs, please report them at the SourceForge tracker for ZILF:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=13 ... unc=browse

THINGS TO DO IN THE ZILF VERSION OF CLOAK OF DARKNESS:

THE FOYER
----------
- Examining the cube should cause 10 game turns to pass
- Examining the painting or card should randomly display a different description each time, not
repeating until all possible descriptions have been shown once (6 for the painting, 3 for the
card)
- Reading the painting should pick from three different signature possibilities to display, in
a 'totally' random fashion - ie, it doesn't guarantee all other possibilities have been shown
before repeating a particular possibility
- Eating the apple should kill you, taking you to a "quit, restore, undo or restart?" query

IQUEUE event tests:
- A "You looked at grime 1 turn ago" message event should fire 1 turn after any EXAMINE GRIME
action
- A "You looked at apple..." message should fire 2 turns after any
EXAMINE APPLE action
- The Foyer room's own routine should report if the above apple event is going fire (saying
"The Foyer routine detects..." - a test of the RUNNING? (as in, is this event running?) routine
- Examining the table should cause an event to fire every turn, until you examine the HOOK in the
Cloakroom, which should dequeue it. Note 'every turn' events do not fire during meta-actions
like INVENTORY.

CLOAKROOM
----------
- You should have to remove the Cloak before traveling west to Hallway to Study

HALLWAY TO STUDY
------------
- Event describing spider should interrupt a wait cycle, ie full 4 turns won't go by
(test by toggling turn # display with DTURN). Example of RTRUE at end of IQUEUE event.
- Examining the SIGN should reveal both its description and its text, reading it should
only reveal its text.

STUDY
----------
- The random event descriptions here (of mouse and scratching sound) should *not* interrupt a wait cycle.
(There are examples of using RFALSE at end of IQUEUE event)
- Has many containers and surfaces to test PUT IN and PUT ON with: jar is an always open container,
wallet is a takeable container with very limited capacity which can be opened and closed, safe is
a non-takeable container that can be opened and closed. Tray and stand are surfaces. Crate is
an always-closed container. The case is a transparent unopenable container holding a muffin that
can be seen but not taken.
- You can use DCONT command to toggle on and off descriptions of objects' sizes and capacities
that will display when a PUT IN action is run
- You can SWITCH/TURN ON and SWITCH/TURN OFF and FLIP the LIGHTSWITCH to control whether the
Closet is lit or not. The flashlight is a device that you can SWITCH/TURN ON and SWITCH/TURN OFF,
provides light when on. The sphere is a transparent unopenable container that holds a firefly
which provides light.
- You should have to hold the book to be able to read it.

Note: TURN OFF FLASHLIGHT works, but TURN FLASHLIGHT OFF doesn't. The syntax VERB OBJ PREPOSITION
is not supported yet - Jesse may make changes to the ZILF parser in the future to implement
this syntax.

GENERAL
--------
IT should refer to the last direct object you used in a command
HE and SHE can be used to refer to Bentley and Stella after you've
used their names in commands at least once.
THEM can be used to reference the grapes (the grapes have PLURALBIT)
The CEILING is a global object that should be refrenceable in every room
DARKNESS is an abstract (GENERIC in ZIL terms) object that you can THINK ABOUT.
The RUG is a GLOBAL-LOCAL (scenery in multiple rooms) object that is in both the Foyer and the Bar.

Hope this is of help, and

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:20 pm 

Hi. Thanks for posting this. Do you have a link to a working example of this. It might make a good model.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:05 am 

jkj yuio wrote:
Hi. Thanks for posting this. Do you have a link to a working example of this. It might make a good model.

ZIL source code for Cloak Plus: https://bitbucket.org/jmcgrew/zilf/src/ ... at=default

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:00 am 

Thanks, Vapor ! (I still owe you a public apology for the misunderstandment caused by your nick back in the r.a.i.f. days..)

Indeed I should watch here more often...

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.