intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:46 am 

We wouldn't consider ourselves a trade show. We are open to both professional and non-profit/freeware creators. I'd consider it a curated exhibition. I wouldn't even know how much to charge a freeware twine author to exhibit for example? Generally the few times a narrative game from a bigger dev or publisher has exhibited they offered to sponsor.

We don't have a formal mission statement but our motivation is to bring people from all backgrounds together to share their love and knowledge of storytelling in games. A person making games in their spare time has as much right to attend as a full time pro dev whose company paid them to attend. Generally those most in need don't always ask, and those in more secure position don't always realise that's where they are. We'd like both kinds of people there, not only because it makes a more interesting event...but because those secure full time devs can often open up paths for the 'spare time' folks looking to move into games full time. It does however make pricing difficult.
We would still have to ticket the expo hall as numbers are limited by fire safety. I would also not like to divide ticket types, as I said the point of the event is to get people talking to each other from different areas from fans, to devs ( both pro and hobby). I totally get what you're saying though it's something we considered, we're keeping tabs on everything folks are saying to us and I've made sure to raise this thread with the other organisers.

You're also right that this is a scaling up issue. TBH I think we're hitting the limits of what we can run. I would like to see more events run of different scales in different countries. So again sorry if anything we do seems weird or offputting to you. What we're trying to do is scale up without loosing ourselves. We'll always listen and we're happy to share what we've learnt with the community.

Last edited by Azure on Sun May 20, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:04 am 

I'm pleased at the venue change and not overly put out by the ticketing.

I would think that most of the interested people who come year on year would be organised enough to buy the cheaper early ticket and consider it a fair trade off for avoiding the risk of being turned away at the door. If I wasn't assisting an exhibitor, I wouldn't have been able to get in on the Saturday last year (and indeed I felt rude for taking that opportunity when others couldn't get in).

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:05 am 

Quote:
As for Sci-fi cons, I suspect publishers sponsor guests?

Not for the cons I attend. These are fannish endeavors.

I think there's general business sponsorship, of the "put an ad the program book" variety. Publishers and local SF stores buy those. But it's not the kind of industry show where the price is set by what companies are willing to budget. Most people go on their own nickel.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:09 am 

I too appreciate the detailed breakdown. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:58 pm 

Thanks, Azure.
£20 early on will work for me (I have to get to London anyway so it's a drop in the... five drops or so) and I'm glad there are concessions. Also the British Library will be a lot handier for the Tube/Boris bikes.

My games: Zeppelin Adventure (Spring Thing 2018), Detectiveland, The Xylophoniad, Draculaland, Aunts and Butlers and Hamlet
Tweets: @rdouglasjohnson
Support me on Patreon and get feelies in the mail!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:13 pm 

The Kickstarter will launch midday GMT tomorrow. We'll tweet when we go live https://twitter.com/AdvXConf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:08 am 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ad ... convention now live.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:35 am 

Well, whad'ya know, all the "early bird" £20 tickets are sold out already. within just one day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:44 am 

I made sure to post here first both in advance and when I went live. It's worth noting that the tier above is only £10 more and comes with a Steam code, journal and pin badge. Please also remember that we'll be selling some tickets through the British library which will be available at the following prices:

*British Library Box Office (available from August)*
Adult Weekend Pass: £40
Adult Day Pass: £25
Concession Weekend Pass: £10
Concession Day Pass: £6

I will once again emphasise no one is profiting off this event.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:00 pm 

Quote:
I will once again emphasise no one is profiting off this event.

You've covered all your costs with KS in under 24 hours. after that it's profit, no?