intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 pm 

DavidG wrote:
When Microsoft does it, it's yet another example of placing no importance upon ideals of writing and implementing programs with an eye to security and stability.

What on earth does project naming have to do with security or stability?

Quote:
Here's another example of why you don't want Microsoft getting involved in Open Source projects: https://www.preining.info/blog/2018/06/ ... packaging/
That one came out on Friday and the problems discovered yesterday. There is no reason why Microsoft couldn't have gotten this right unless they just don't care to do it right.

Read the comments on that post for some perspective. Also, note that when he reported it on Microsoft's forums, he got two affirmative responses from Microsoft the same day.

In any case, if "sometimes they write bad code" is a reason not to want them involved in OSS projects, I'd say it's outweighed by the much larger amount of good code they've written.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:59 pm 

DavidG wrote:
Stomping on namespace is bad enough taken in isolation. Usually that can be explained by a momentary lapse of judgment. When Microsoft does it, it's yet another example of placing no importance upon ideals of writing and implementing programs with an eye to security and stability.

Here's another example of why you don't want Microsoft getting involved in Open Source projects: https://www.preining.info/blog/2018/06/ ... packaging/
That one came out on Friday and the problems discovered yesterday. There is no reason why Microsoft couldn't have gotten this right unless they just don't care to do it right.

No disagreement there. Not a MS fan myself. But with GitHub, I'm not actually installing anything from them on my machines, and neither do I have any private or sensitive data stored there. I just have my public Git repos hosted there. For as long at it works, it works. If that changes, people can just move on. Right now, it works just as well as it always has, and I don't believe this will change any time soon.

With that being said, GitLab is trying to capitalize on the migration hype and is offering some of their premium services for free to open source, non-commercial projects. So it might be a good idea to switch anyway. Not due to MS buying GitHub, but because of GitLab potentially offering a better service at no cost.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:45 pm 

My reaction to the news, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is that I've pushed copies of my open-source repos to Bitbucket. (They're not publically visible, but they're there and I can light them up at any time.)

So, worst-case scenario, if Microsoft shuts down Github without warning *and* I have a hard drive failure the same day, I haven't lost anything.

All other scenarios are less bad.

In the meantime, I am a customer of both Github and Bitbucket (as I've been for several years, cheapest paid plan of each). I will continue behaving as such, meaning I keep an eye out for policy changes I don't like.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:28 pm 

zarf wrote:
In the meantime, I am a customer of both Github and Bitbucket (as I've been for several years, cheapest paid plan of each).

Do you get much use out of the paid Bitbucket features?

Compared to the free account, the paid one has 500 build minutes instead of 50, 5 GB quota for LFS instead of 1 GB, and unlimited users instead of 5. I haven't gotten close to the free limits on any of those.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:37 pm 

Most of my proprietary projects live on Bitbucket (a habit I got into in 2011, before Github had unlimited private repos). I prefer not to rely on free hosting for anything job-related.

I could consolidate and stop paying two subscription fees, but I'm lazy and the costs aren't inordinate. And I do in fact want both services to continue to exist.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:43 pm 

Oh hey, I didn't expect to find an explanation here of all places for why my /bin/sh suddenly changed.

While I have no affection for Microsoft, and they've quite thoroughly ruined Skype and many of their other acquisitions, I'm cautiously optimistic about Github. Like zarf, I'm keeping everything on Bitbucket too, but this doesn't seem like any sort of emergency yet.