intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:49 am 

HanonO wrote:
If you like your keyboard to click, look for a mechanical keyboard with cherry blue switches. (Cherry is the brand, the color after is the switch action...whether it's audible, tactile, smooth, resistance... blue is the clicky ones, red is the quiet smooth ones.)

I have bought two keyboards, one mechanical, that I love in retail. They were sold as "gaming" keyboards but don't have ridiculous paint jobs or weird extra keys - they're just black keyboards.

My favorite is a HyperX Alloy FPS found at Best Buy for $80. It's heavy, compact, and has a very nice fabric-wrapped cord. It clicks with genuine cherry blue switches and is very satisfying to type on.
https://www.hyperxgaming.com/en/keyboar ... g-keyboard
https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Alloy-FPS ... B01LWMXIRY
It's also cool in that the keys have backlight options. My favorite that I use is each individual key backlights red after being struck and then fades slowly. It's very cyberpunk. It also came with a case, so is meant to be transported if you prefer to keep it with you. It also has two usb-plugs in the back, the extra is used to supply more power to the usb-charging port built into the keyboard. Also, they include a "key puller" which is nice if you want to pop the keys out and clean under them, but you can also do it by gently prying the keycaps with a paper-clip. They supply specially textured alternate WASD keycaps you can swap in if you do use it for gaming and that's nice to find the movement keys without looking. I just left the default black ones on since I don't usually FPS.

My other favorite is a $30 Steel Series Apex 100 Illuminate Gaming KB from Walmart. It has silent "mechanical feel" membrane keys (not mechanical, but they have a nice throw and a tactile "give") The backlighting is blue - the actual letters don't light - only the cracks between the keys are constantly on which was a bit distracting in my lower peripheral vision when used in a dark room. I'm using this on my work computer and it's much nicer than the default Dell my company gave me with it. It's a good affordable nice-feeling keyboard if you don't want to jump to an $80-100 mechanical model right off the bat.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Steel-Series ... /197738272

Oh, and both of these have "Windows" keys, but do work properly on both my Mac and PC - on Mac the "alt" key is the Option key. Both also have dedicated number keypads on the right and arrow keys.

I actually once did order an expensive Mac "Das Keyboard" which is one of the brands some people really like, but it was way too big to fit on my keyboard shelf. I liked the action but could never type on it comfortably where it would fit.

Much appreciated!

Adam

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:52 am 

I started responding individually but that would have extended the thread by quite a bit due to the number of responses.....

... So instead i'll just say "Thanks!" to all for responding. Time to take a look at what's been suggested.

Cheers

Adam

Profile Send private message