intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm 

jeremy wrote:
Thanks for all this. This is really helpful.

Just so I understand stored actions closer to correctly, am I right to think:

1. That there isn't a way to have a stored action without a specified actor? (My use case for this would be something displaying the action. My assumption is that I'd have to instead have phrase that splices together the action name part and noun part of the stored action.

2. That in order to basically copy person A's action to person B, I would have to use the Editable Stored Actions extension that was mentioned. That is, otherwise there isn't a way to elaborate Zarf's example to the equivalent of:

Code:
When play begins:
    repeat with X running through people:
        now the next-action of X is ((X doing the next-action of person Y))

I think you need Editable Stored Actions. As jrb pointed out, you can use variables for things in stored actions without the extension, but I don't think you can use variables for action names in specifying stored actions without the extension--Inform wouldn't know how many nouns need to be specified, or what preposition if any, without knowing the action name. (That is: if Alice's next-action is looking, and Bob's next-action is examining Alice, you can extract the action-name from either of those, but if you tried assembling a new action-name out of it you wouldn't know whether you need a noun or not.)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02 pm 

As it turns out: I couldn't get Editable Stored Actions to work AT ALL. I couldn't even get its own examples to work. Maybe I was doing something wrong or now dependencies on my machine are mixed up as I am trying to sort through different versions of extensions to handle a different issue. If anybody has used it lately and can affirm that it does work under the current version of Inform and such, I'd poke around at it more.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:30 pm 

Oh, I'm sorry. I tried including Editable Stored Actions in a project and it compiled, but I didn't thoroughly check it out.

Looking at version 10 of Editable Stored Actions, which is the one I have and which can be found here or here, it looks like the code for "text part" of the stored action is commented out in the extension itself, but not in the examples. I was able to get the second example in the documentation to compile by deleting the references to a "text part" in the example. The first example didn't contain references to a text part and worked as it was.