intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:19 pm 

Hi,

Looks like an interesting story, but I‘ve to admit I never heard of it ...

http://8-bit.info/infinite-imaginations-aventuras-ad/

Jens

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:49 am 

Jens Leugengroot wrote:
Hi,

Looks like an interesting story, but I‘ve to admit I never heard of it ...

http://8-bit.info/infinite-imaginations-aventuras-ad/

Jens

DAAD was very popular in the 80-90 in Spain. It is a derivate of PAWS specially tailored for the company Aventuras AD. So it hadlittle tweaks to support Spanish, images and to be able to export games to the common platforms.
Spanish community is quite active and it has been releasing some games under this system, even expanding it.
The resulting DAAD is here by a common effort to recover this software. A big hoorray to them

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:01 pm 

Very interesting. The fact that you can easily publish the same game for multiple platforms is a good perk of using this system. I was under the impression that DAAD and SWAN were the same thing. Guess not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:29 pm 

Hi, Stefan here... I'm the one who recovered the system together with Tim Gilberts, the original author and founder of Gilsoft / Infinite Imaginations. DAAD is basically a collection of DOS based tools and compilers that work with source files. The compiler transforms the sources to platform specific databases that can then be executed from the interpreters. Target platforms are: C64, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, MSX, PCW, Atari ST, Amiga and MS-DOS. DAAD is also the most advanced tool to emerge from the heritage of Gilsoft. It is far superior to PAWs. I wouldn't go as far and state that it is a PAWs derivate as DAAD is basically tailored for professional developers and does many things differently but there are some similarites, especially the scripting language. It offers so much more possibilities and a sophisticated parser in both Spanish and English that may be easily classified on-par with Infocom games. I recently released an addon to allow games to be written in the German language also. Since we made many additions to the 2018 release, you may choose to work with a modern environment. We crafted a syntax highlighter for Visual Studio Code that allows you to create your DAAD adventures. My adventure Hibernated (which was recently featured in the Zzap!64 annual) was written with DAAD https://8bitgames.itch.io/hibernated1

SWAN was very different as it offered a polished icon-driven interface. The SWAN system was Atari ST based as Fergus McNeill worked exclusively on that platform. The system was pretty much tailored to his needs. Fergus already gave his blessing, so WE ARE in fact going to release SWAN at some point down the road.

Feel free to post any questions that may arise when working with the system.