intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:19 pm 

So I've encountered a bit of a confusing situation here, and have found nothing in the manual to help with either of these questions.
The scenario: The player can pan or mine for gold, and the gold has a cash value of $20/ounce (the approximate value of gold circa 1850) I simply need to allow the player to check how much gold or cash he has (and also intend to show both in the status bar -- after I get to that section of the manual)

First one:
Code:
Gold-score is a real number that varies. Gold-score is 0.16.
Cash-score is a real number that varies. Cash-score is 20 times gold-score.

However, upon compiling, Inform complains:
"Problem. The sentence 'Cash-score is 20 times gold-score' tells me that 'Cash-score', which is a real number that varies, should start out with the value '20 times gold-score', but this is an object and not a real number." .... (I get the same complaint whether I write "Gold-score" or "gold-score," so it's not about capitalization)
I had JUST defined "gold-score" as a real number, so why is Inform thinking it's an object?
That is quite confusing, because I tried a "work-around" for that in another section:
Code:
Requesting the cash held is an action out of world. Understand "cash" as requesting the cash held.
Report requesting the cash held:
   Say "The cash value of your gold is $[gold-score times 20 to 2 decimal places]."

Which works just fine.

And that brings me to my second question: Is there a way to FORCE numerical display to use a specified number of decimal places?
For instance, in the example as shown so far, the player has 0.16oz of gold. That times $20 per ounce is $3.20. However, when I try to display the amount of cash, it only shown $3.2 ..... without including the final zero to show $3.20.
You can also use the "gold" command to show the amount of gold collected thus far, and that has the same problem.
Here's the full code for both bits:
Code:
Requesting the gold held is an action out of world. Understand "gold" as requesting the gold held.
Report requesting the gold held:
   Say "So far you have amassed [gold-score to 2 decimal places] ounces of gold."

Requesting the cash held is an action out of world. Understand "cash" as requesting the cash held.
   Say "The cash value of your gold is $[gold-score times 20 to 2 decimal places]."

I have read through the chapter "Numbers and Equations" in "Writing With Inform" several times, but can find nothing to help with this.
Perhaps I need to define each with units or notation? But as I understand, you can't do math with mixed units/notations in Inform. I actually tried fiddling with that as well, but got nowhere fast.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:47 pm 

Well, for the first part, I find it works if I take care of it in the "When play begins" block:

Code:
The library is a room. "[Gold-score] | [Cash-score]".

Gold-score is a real number that varies.
Cash-score is a real number that varies.

When play begins:
   Now Gold-score is 0.16;
   Now Cash-score is 20.00 times gold-score.

Sample Output:

Code:
Testing
An Interactive Fiction by "Phillip J Rhoades" The story headline is "A testbed"
Release 1 / Serial number 180909 / Inform 7 build 6M62 (I6/v6.33 lib 6/12N) SD

library
0.16 | 3.2

>

Last edited by howtophil on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:49 pm 

howtophil wrote:
Well, for the first part, I find it works if I take care of it in the "When play begins" block:

Code:
The library is a room. "[Gold-score] | [Cash-score to 3 decimal places]".

Gold-score is a real number that varies.
Cash-score is a real number that varies.

When play begins:
   Now Gold-score is 0.16;
   Now Cash-score is 20.00 times gold-score.

Sample Output:

Code:
Testing
An Interactive Fiction by "Phillip J Rhoades" The story headline is "A testbed"
Release 1 / Serial number 180909 / Inform 7 build 6M62 (I6/v6.33 lib 6/12N) SD

library
0.16 | 3.2

>

What the heck? o.O
Okay, that seems weird to me. I guess tho, if it works, it works. I guess I just do the calculation in-place, wherever I need it :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:02 pm 

If cash-score is always 20 times gold-score, I think this should work:

Code:
To decide which real number is cash-score: decide on 20 times gold-score.

(I think the underlying issue is that when you're setting the initial value of something at compile-time, you have to set it using only literal numbers, not calculations involving other things defined at compile-time. I once had something where I defined "grid size" as a constant and I wanted another constant set to grid size squared, and it didn't work.)

For the second part, I think you can force trailing zeroes by defining money as a unit, which will also allow you to automatically put a $ in front of any monetary amount--see §15.14 of Writing with Inform.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:48 pm 

matt w wrote:
If cash-score is always 20 times gold-score, I think this should work:

Code:
To decide which real number is cash-score: decide on 20 times gold-score.

(I think the underlying issue is that when you're setting the initial value of something at compile-time, you have to set it using only literal numbers, not calculations involving other things defined at compile-time. I once had something where I defined "grid size" as a constant and I wanted another constant set to grid size squared, and it didn't work.)

For the second part, I think you can force trailing zeroes by defining money as a unit, which will also allow you to automatically put a $ in front of any monetary amount--see §15.14 of Writing with Inform.

Okay, yeah. Setting up cash-score with units does indeed force all decimal places to be shown. I had to do it like this:
Code:
Cash-value is a kind of value. $9.99 specifies a cash-value.
The Cash-score is a cash-value that varies.

That other bit tho I can't get to work. The "To decide ..."
I ended up trying it this way:
Code:
To decide which cash-value is cash-score:
   Decide on $20.00 times gold-score.

But it always prints the cash-score as $0.00 then.
My brain is in pretzels. I think I need to give this up for today and approach it with a fresh mind tomorrow. This is very frustrating. <sigh>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:56 pm 

I think the problem is if you have both "The Cash-score is a cash-value that varies." and the "To decide which cash-value is cash-score:" phrase. The first one setts up a global variable called "cash-score" which gets set to the default value of $0.00, and the second one sets up a function call (or something) called "cash-value' which calculates it based on gold-score. But then every time you refer back to "cash-score" it checks the global variable and ignores the "to decide" phrase.

tl;dr: delete "The Cash-score is a cash-value that varies." and see if that fixes the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:09 pm 

Well .... Wow ....... I don't even know WHAT to say about the outcome here.
Code:
To decide which cash-value is cash-score:
   Decide on $20.00 times gold-score.

result?
Code:
>gold
So far you have amassed 0.16 ounces of gold.

>cash
The total value of your gold is $11345592.32

uhhhh ........ WTAF o.O

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:45 pm 

Aw nuts. That looks like something related to this bug, where some real-number arithmetic is getting performed using integer operations.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:23 pm 

Reported as a bug.

So you could go back to the old workaround, but with a routine that prints an extra zero at the end of $3.20 when needed. (This took a lot of banging on to get to work, and it still might not work.)

Code:
Lab is a room.

Gold-score is a real number that varies. Gold-score is 0.16.

Requesting the gold held is an action out of world. Understand "gold" as requesting the gold held.
Report requesting the gold held:
   Say "So far you have amassed [gold-score] ounces of gold."

Say "The cash value of your gold is [cash-score as a dollar amount]."

To decide which real number is cash-score:
   Decide on gold-score times 20.

To say (amount - a real number) as a dollar amount:
   let amount-cents be the remainder after dividing (amount times 100) by 100 to the nearest whole number; [should be divisible by 10 whenever the amount needs a trailing zero. Note that something like 4.0 gets printed with one trailing zero]
   say "$";
   say amount to two decimal places;
   if the remainder after dividing amount-cents by 10 is 0:
      say "0".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:34 pm 

Well ...... It's good to know it's a known bug, and I'm not actually just insane LOL
I'll give your "To say as a dollar amount" solution a try. It could work well enough.
Or I could just totally ditch the whole cash conversion and let everything be payed for with raw gold. It IS in a gold mining town, after all. ;)