intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:11 pm 

I am frequently getting the Unable to search at this time error, even just after logging onto the forum and the search of unread messages is my first action.

Re: "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes."

Is that a server busy issue or some kind of permission issue?

Thank you,
v/r
Jeff

Last edited by fos1 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:42 pm 

I've been getting it also. It's not just you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:00 pm 

This has got quite bad at the moment. I haven't been able to search at all for the last couple of days, which means I can't use "See unread posts" which is how I usually read the board.

Last time I remember this happening (found it by googling on the website) Dannii said that the server probably needed a restart and that only Merk could do it. Which is another reason to try to take the hosting out of poor Merk's hands!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:52 pm 

You also have to downgrade your SSL version and be sure not to change your User-Agent string.

Quote:
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to http://www.intfiction.org. Peer using unsupported version of security protocol. Error code: SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:33 am 

I know this is a couple weeks old, but I was able to do a couple searches today without an error. I don't think Apache has been restarted since around the 10th or 11th when I renewed the certificate, and uptime says the server itself has been up for 500 days, so I rebooted it a few minutes ago just in case.

As for having to downgrade your SSL, I'll have to see what's involved to add TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2. I didn't realize they weren't already supported. I tried enabling it just now but couldn't start Apache because I guess the version of OpenSSL on the server is out of date. The whole server is pretty out of date anyway, so I'll spend some time seeing if I'm able to upgrade. The Yum utility says there are no updates available, but that's probably because my version of Linux is no longer supported either.

As for moving to other hosting, I've been waiting patiently for something to happen there. It would definitely be better if it was handled by somebody who's around more. Plus it's a few out-of-pocket expenses for me that I could avoid -- around $12 yearly for the domain, $33 monthly for the server (although I use it for my other sites too), and $70 yearly for the certificate. When it has came up in the past, I think it was just random individuals volunteering to host, not something organized by the moderators and community.

A good way to reach me quickly is on twitter - @vggenerations.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:44 am 

I don't know about reducing the rest of the costs, but I've been using Let's Encrypt for my SSL certificate without a problem and that could save you $70

https://letsencrypt.org/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:13 am 

Huh. Yeah, that looks like a better idea. I'll keep it in mind for next year. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:45 am 

Merk wrote:
Huh. Yeah, that looks like a better idea. I'll keep it in mind for next year. Thanks!

No problem :)

I've been testing it out on my dynmic IP and it seems solid.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:46 am 

+1 for letsencrypt. The only drawback is that you have to renew the cert every 3 months, which is annoying. But they do remind you.

$33/month for the server sounds a LOT. is there really that much traffic. I've been running sites using VPSes for under $5/month. One is even < $3 but that's in Asia. These deals seem to work fine for websites even ones with reasonable, but probably not heavy traffic. On the other hand, these virtual servers can easily expand capacity for a few dollars more.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:53 am 

quick question;

Can Discord be self-hosted? If so, I'd like to try that on one of my random instances.
Anyone know?